1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from whisky country

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by drumgerry, Feb 6, 2016.

1. drumgerry

drumgerry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    Speyside, Scotland
    Hi all

Just joined and have posted a couple of times already but I thought I'd introduce myself anyway. I'm Gerry and I live in lovely Speyside here in North East Scotland. We've had chooks for nearly 11 years with breeds of all sorts over the years ranging from rescue battery hens to La Bresse Gauloises to Silkies and just about every other breed available to us. We currently just have 6 hens and no cockerel - two la Bresse and 4 Legcanas (Leghorn/Araucana crosses). The Legcanas are a great cross and lay lovely big blue eggs but like to roost in trees (even in storm and snow and cold) and have corrupted the La Bresses into doing the same.

One of the more successful breeds we've had was French Marans so I have an incubator with 12 Wheaten Marans and 12 Copper Blue Marans eggs which were set a couple of days ago. Enjoying being part of the forum and hope you don't mind a non-US person being involved.

Ps - here's a little video of some of our chicks from 2 years ago some of whom we still have as grown up ladies (with narration by my OH Lucy!)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Gerry, welcome to BYC. Hope that you have a very successful hatch.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumgerry

Feb 4, 2016
    Speyside, Scotland
    Thanks! Fingers crossed. These were posted eggs so a bit of a lottery but we'll see on the 25th....

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Gerry. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thanks for posting the video. :eek:) My wife and I visited Scotland for our 37th wedding anniversary and loved your beautiful countryside. We are hoping to take our granddaughter for a visit there in a couple of years. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumgerry

Feb 4, 2016
    Speyside, Scotland
    Thanks for the kind words Michael. I'm sure you have some beautiful country in your neck of the woods as well :)

I'll definitely check out the Learning Centre (apologies - Scottish spelling!). BYC is a great resource in so many ways.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Gerry, [​IMG]

There are members here from all over the world so no worries about where you're from. Thank you for the video, the crosses sure are pretty.

Good luck with your hatch and thank you for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  7. drumgerry

Feb 4, 2016
    Speyside, Scotland
    Thanks Debby! Pleased to be here!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - so glad you joined the flock [​IMG]. My sister, her daughter, my brother & my son visited Scotland last spring and loved it. (I am not a traveler- unless I can walk there)

1 person likes this.
  9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Gerry and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. BYC membership spans the whole world, so no need to feel out of place here (I'm from south of the border but live in Kenya) - i think its an aspect of BYC that makes being a member more interesting as we all do things differently. Some great sub-aqua diving to be had up there in your bonny land - i used to be there most weekends during my Uni days.

All the best with your hatch
    CT

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by