Hi Grandma Lisa/DipsyDoodle - we'll be 2 weeks tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ruth, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hey Lisa - your grandbabies are doing just great. Already getting to go outside in the "big chick" pen when it's sunny and at least 70. They play so hard that they crash face down, necks stretched straight out and sleep for hours when they come in. They are getting sooooo big.

[​IMG]

They love scrambled egg.

[​IMG]

I call these three Jacob, Rachel and Leah. Jacob has a bad leg but Rachel and Leah are so small (and blue) and gentle. Granted, could be Jacobina.[​IMG] They have own living quarters - neither could keep up with the rowdy bunch of others.

[​IMG]

Catch the look on the face of this one (from top pic).

[​IMG]

Thanks again for GREAT eggs. 14 out of 16 shipped eggs to hatch for my first time and with temps soaring from 93 to 108.

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Wow, good looking chicks!!

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Good job on The hatch!!!! [​IMG]

What type of incubator did you use?

4. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    they look great ruth. i like the last photo, seems to say "HEY watt choo lukin at"
    edited for sp

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:A still air HovaBator (no fan and never got temp regulated.)

The Barred Rock chicks were really packed in shell and I had to zip each one so they could get out. They were really meaty by comparison to the 6 tiny Ameracaunas which hatched themselves during the night. All were born/hatched Valentines Day with love.

6. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Great looking chicks!

Is the scrambled egg for extra protein? Or why?

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Yes - great source of protein. I also feed them cooked rice and other vegetables from day one (along with chick starter). I let them free range, if only in confined run, from day one if it's at least 70 and sunny. I'll feed them live crickets just for the sheer fun of the show they put on - toss them one at a time it's hilarious.

Basically I raise my chickens as close to nature as possible allowing them to free range pasture and woods as soon as it's warm. Not only never lost a bird - I don't have any issues with them fighting one another and they are all different age groups, no sickness or egg bound issues. They take off each morning come back each night and get on roosts exhausted. Of course they all come running as soon as I step outside and follow me around property hoping for treats.

8. They're looking great!
    Everybody here gets scrambled (or boiled) eggs too [​IMG]

Lisa

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hey Grandma - here we are at three weeks. Living outside in Chick-N-Hutch full time and free range our little run all day.

The Barred Rocks are getting sooooo big.

[​IMG]

But look at this guy - I call him Mr. Longneck. He came out of one of the green eggs. He's the only one of the Ameracaunas that I had to help out. He was really stuffed in shell and when he was fully out I thought he was deformed. He was so big and had such a long neck and huge feet. He has black feathers going down shaft of legs. I'm guessing he's a black Roo like his daddy????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by