Hi Guy's...2nd year Michigan (COLD) Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Francesco, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Francesco

Francesco Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2016
    Hello everybody, my name is Francesco. I live in Northern Michigan and this is the second year I've bought chicks to raise. I primarily raise my chickens for eggs but I really enjoy and love each and every one of them. Last Easter I bought 5 Red Sex Links and a Old English Game Bantam Rooster. I picked up the rooster just for security pourposes really as my place is literally in the woods and there are a lot of predators. Anyway, I bought them as just a few week old chicks, built a very nice 8-10 chicken coop and had a very successful couple of years with them. Sadly I had to give them away because I had to leave the state for a couple months. Now just this month I went and bought 8 more beautiful chicks. I got all pullets.....a Gold Laced Wyandotte, a Light Brahma, an aracauna, an Isa Brown, a White Foghorn, a Rhode Island Red, a Barred Rock and a Black Australorp. I wanted to have a really diverse flock this year.
    Here is my main question for now......The first 6 I bought locally from a feed store. The Leghorn and the Red are significantly bigger/older than the rest but so far there have been no bullying or other problems. They have all been together in the same pen for about 2 weeks. Well the Barred Rock and Black Australorp I ordered from a hatchery as 5-8 day old pullets. They should be here monday. I just wanted to ask if introducing them into the pen may cause some problems ? It's gonna be a while before I can even introduce them into the coop as it is still very cold up here...it's 19 degrees today. Anybody got any advice for me. I love this site and your chickens and stories and am literally addicted.

Thanks everybody,
    Franco

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Franco [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear that you had to part with your flock. We are in the process of a big move but lucky in that we can take the flock with us .. they are going to be flying the furthest they have in their little lives, 1,300km [​IMG]

Sorry that I can not help you with regards the integrating chicks, I have never done that before. I am thinking that the chicks would still need to go through a quarantine period before they can be introduced but I could be wrong on that.

Hopefully someone else will be able to assist. I did try popping ‘integrating chicks’ into the Search option and while a lot of the resulting threads were with regards to integrating chicks with adults, there appeared to be a few on integrating chicks with chicks.

Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. If you can divide your brooder with chicken wire (or something through which they can see each other) then it should be a reasonable way for everyone to get to know each other. After a few days you can remove the divider and observe how things go.

Best wishes
    CT

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Franco, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Looks like you've already received some good advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Francesco, it's nice to have you join us!

Chickens aren't fond of change so it may take a while for them to all get used to each other. CTKen's suggestion to temporarily separate them (while they can still see each other) should make integration easier.

Best of luck to you!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The newbies will need quite awhile before they can be successfully integrated to your flock. The "look but don't touch," method is the gentlest way. You can find it via the search box.

7. jloyler

jloyler New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    Hello everyone. New here, and woukd like to know if maybe someone here could help me. I have 6 week old chicks..like to know if i have any hens in my future. [​IMG]

8. jloyler

jloyler New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    Second pic. Future hen or rooster
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  9. Francesco

Francesco Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2016
    Hard to tell.....whats the age and breed? Looks like a little Rhode Island Red, Red Sex Link or a little Isa Brown. Handsome little bird.

10. vachick15

vachick15 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2015
    The Old Dominion
    Welcome to BYC! I hope you enjoy it here and are having fun in your chicken journey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by