Hi Guys! I am going to be doing some tweaking to the coop this weekend! 3 DAY WEEKEND FUN!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by boochaces, Oct 5, 2012.

1. boochaces

boochaces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Anyhow, I am going to be fixing a few spots that have been bothering me lately - just for extra precaution.

Now that the nights are getting colder, should I add hay to certain areas for warmth?

What are your secrets???

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Depends on your location, breeds and ages.
    There are no secrets. Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.
    Unless you have wimpy birds(temp wise) like seramas or fayoumis don't worry about the cold.
    Cold doesn't kill most breeds. Heat and bad air do.

3. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    You do not need to provide anything extra but straw for bedding is a good idea. Just make sure your coop is draft free. Ventilation is important but you never want an air tight coop. Chickens put moisture in the air so ventilation is important to keep any chance of frost bite to a minimum. One thing you might want to consider is providing a heated waterier this winter.

During freezing weather it's a good idea to keep a jar of petroleum jelly on hand so if you do run into any chickens with signs of frost bite you can rub some of the jelly into their comb and wattles.

Just a quick question, what spots in the coop are bothering you? Might help some in addressing your question. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. boochaces

boochaces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    My concerns are really just about predators. The back part needs another layer of chicken wire. The material I used is flimsy.

I will post a picture soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by