Hi guys. New at byc, kinda sorta new at chickens. Any tips?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ohiobirdmom, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ohiobirdmom

ohiobirdmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2015
    A little bit of backstory first...

I grew up on a small farm with about 40 chickens. A few other animals too. But i moved from the farm when i was 9-10 yrs old. Im 23 now. In all honesty i dont remember what kind of chickens they were (at that age i dont think i was too interested in breed) but i know we had 4 roosters and the rest were hens.

Fast forward to now...

My fiance decided he wanted to start a little farm for our kids and he brought home some chickens. I have a few different breeds. But i think he got the bad end of a deal with a friend who gave him our barred rocks. Im pretty sure all 10 are roosters. (I womt have pics until tomorrow morning) I also have 2 red hens. They both lay rich brown eggs but one is a darker red and one is an orange like color. Not very big in size (again i can add pics tomorrow) and very timid. We have 4 smaller birds as well. I know one is a silky. She lays smaller light colored eggs. There is a banny rooster. And there are 2 very small chickens that i dont know where to even begin trying to figure out. Right now i have no pictures of any of them. They are great birds. I just wanted to get on here and make sure that im taking proper care of them. Hopefully i can figure out the breeds of the ones i need to and figure out the sex of my BRs. I know some are roosters. I have a couple crowers. Very loud! But i have the silky, banny rooster, and the 2 tiny ones separate from the rest. My little banny takes care of the 3 others on their side of the coop which is cute. Hes protective of them. I think the 2 small ones are females too but i dont know. I dont know what i will have to do if all the BRs are roos. I know i cant keep them all because of fighting and we have one already getting mean with my fiance. Never toward me but he doesnt like my fiance. I have a few questions tho to start with if anyone can help!

All of the barred rocks are around 5-6 months old. If there were hens should they have already started laying?

How many roosters should i keep if i end up with some hens? Is there a "rooster to hen" ratio?

Why does my little banny start freaking out when my silky lays? Is that normal? He throws a fit when we reach for the egg and we can also hear him throw a fit around early afternoon when we get eggs from silk. Now we always know when to go out and get eggs because he gets quiet when they egg is ready.

Sorry for such a long post. Its been a long time being around chickens and my fiance kind of threw us in the water head first. Any tips are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Krista

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Krista and a very warm welcome to BYC!

To try and answer some of your questions:

Hens will normally start laying at around 6 months, but some are late developers. If they squat when you approach them, and their combs and wattles begin to redden, then thats a sign that you can expect eggs soon.

The recommended hen to roo ratio is 10:1.

Its quite normal for a roo to join in with the chicken song - don't worry about that.

There's no reason in keeping an aggressive roo and as you have kids, that makes it doubly important that you get rid of it ASAP.

I'm not sure what kind of set up you have - whether you free range or have outside runs for your chickens?

All the best and enjoy BYC and your chickens!

CT

3. ohiobirdmom

Nov 16, 2015
    CTKen, thank you! I have a run/pen for my small birds. My BRs and the 2 red hens are free range. I will be posting some pics today. None of my BRs squat.. Might be a bad sign. My one thats getting mean with my fiance actually loves my kids and one of my cats surprisingly. There is just something about my fiance. But i will need to figure out which one is best to keep now and have to find a home for the other boys. Thanks for the answers. I really appreciate it! I will be posting pics of my birds here in a bit to hopefully see what breed they are!

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Krista, [​IMG]

When you have pictures, you can post them over on this forum for help in identifying their gender:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this (read the picture guidelines)

Always feel free to ask questions, there is a ton of information here and a lot of friendly, helpful members.

Thanks for joining us!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    You are very welcome! Maybe just get a new fiance instead? [​IMG]

6. ohiobirdmom

Nov 16, 2015

Id rather keep my fiance. Lol i do have anpther question tho.
    If i rehome my BRs would the 2 red hens be okay with the smaller ones or do i have to keep them all separate? Im just wondering if they would get along without the BRs. The 2 reds are really submissive with the BRs.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    there lots of threads on introducing new chickens to a flock and i'd suggest that you read a few of them to give you and good idea of how to go about integration. Its possible that it could be a little tricky if you only have a smallish run, as the subordinates may find it difficult to escape from the war path of the others. Do read the threads though and feel free to ask away after.

CT

8. ohiobirdmom

Nov 16, 2015

Alright. Will do thanks!

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Have you visited the Learning Center? It's the best place to start a chicken education.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by