Hi guys. Newbie from Southern CA.

Heathfinn

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
I'm originally from Southern Illinois and had Cochins as a boy. I've had an interest in getting back to chickens for years and just decided to look into it again. I now live in LA suburbia and would like to try to keep 3-4 hens and just exploring my options. Would love any input from anyone else in a suburban environment with sensitive neighbors and plentiful predators. Aside from convincing my wife that this will be fun, my two biggest concerns are neighbors objecting and attracting predators. If anyone has any tips to help I'd sure love to hear them. Looks like a great website and I'm happy to join the group.

Thanks!

Heath

Hi Heathfinn, I'm in the area too. I had chickens as a kid too. I now have a flock of five batams and I am having the time of my life. I hope I don't have any roosters. It's too early to tell. I have a small coop and my husband is building me a small covered fenced in grazing area. We do have a hawk that has been hanging around. So far so good with my neighbors. Everything has been positive. Go for it!

Hello Heath!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow

Welcome to BYC, Heath. Glad you decided to join our flock. Be sure that you can legally keep chickens where you live before investing in them, otherwise some neighbor will complain and you will end up having to get rid of them. Assuming chickens are legal where you live, if you don't want a neighbor complaining I would suggest getting one of the calmer and quieter breeds (as chickens go) such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, or Silkies. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. And definitely do not get a rooster (hens only) or you will have problems with your neighbors. Definitely build your coop/run predator proof. That means using hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as there are just too many predators that can tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on predator proofing your chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chickens.

I agree with Michael, also bribing neighbors with eggs works in a pinch. Get them interested in raising chickens and no one will complain.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom