Hi Guys!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Taylorbandera, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Taylorbandera

Taylorbandera New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Hello everybody! I'm new here and have been learning a lot. I have two BR hens about 7 months old who are laying great. I added two SL pullets who are about 3 months old. The two BR are not even letting the pullets out of the coop. The BR are keeping the two pullets cornered in the nesting boxes all day. Any ideas?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have to integrate new birds slowly. Your established birds won't welcome them with open wings. Be sure the new birds have food and water near by because your older ones will bully them away from the usual feeder etc. And will probably not allow them on the roosts either.

Please use search box to find "Look but, don't touch integration method." It's the kindest way to proceed

3. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Welcom to BYC hope you enjoy this site, and you managed to get them integated,it takes a while but they do eventually establish their pecking order.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on drumstick diva's comments. Chickens don't take to sudden changes (including new coop mates) well.

Here's a link to an article in the Learning Center that does a good job of explaining how to add new birds to an existing flock:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Good luck to you

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Taylor, and :welcome! Happy you joined our community! You've already received some great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

6. Taylorbandera

Taylorbandera New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll checkout those links

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the coop! I am so glad you decided to join the flock and I hope you'll make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by