Hi guys.

1Mira

Hatching
7 Years
May 19, 2012
Hi guys,
I'm in South Eastern Australia--Victoria, and would like to know about having some Giant Jersey hens in our back garden. They would not be for egg-laying, but would primarily be for eating the snails etc. Are there any Australians out there who can pass on some info on where I can buy them, and if they are cared for in a similar way to other chickens I'd be very grateful. all truly from Mira.

frow.gif

Welcome to BYC! :D

I have no answer for your questions, but I do have a suggestion: do some research on the snail with which you are having trouble. Many plants and insects develop toxins as a defense from predation, so you need to know if this is the case with your snail. Identify the name of it, and search the imternet.

If this is not giving good info, you can check google scholar for any research that has been done with the species. I love google scholar! Many articles only offer an abstract, but it is often sufficient to answer a lay person question. The full text often goes over my head as it includes very specific technical language, but the discussion section at the end of a full text article is typically more comprehensible.

Alternatively, there are now repositories for reseach papers that are not picked up by scientific journals. This adds a greater dimension to the available research and is also valuable.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

You may want to check the Aussie threads, look under "Where am I - Where are you" in the Social section of the forum.

My chickens love slugs - just snails without shells.

welcome-byc.gif

On our farm snails are known as "chicken sweeties".

Back
Top Bottom