1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hi guys

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by frizzylizzy2003, Dec 1, 2014.

1. 1 week

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 2 week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1 month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5 week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6 week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7 week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 2 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. frizzylizzy2003

frizzylizzy2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. As long as they are kept in a warm brooder, you can separate chicks from the mother hen as soon as they hatch. However, if this is a solo chick and if it's not inconvenient to keep it with the mother, I would do so as long as is possible. Chickens are gregarious and like company. If you do need to separate it from its mother, perhaps you can get some more chicks the same age to keep it company. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chick.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Michael. When people order chicks from a hatchery they are sent at 1 -2 days old. They've hatched in huge incubators and have never seen their mother. If you provide a draft free brooder with warmth(heat lamp) feed and water they will do just fine. If you find yourself with a singleton you can keep him content with a stuffed animal to cuddle with and a mirror so he thinks he isn't alone. Then hunt around for another chick or two about the same age and size - so he can learn to be a social chick.

4. frizzylizzy2003

frizzylizzy2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2014
    i already have 2 adult chickens so would they be aggressive to the chick(s) they are austra-whites

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Yes your adult chickens would be aggressive to the chick/chicks. To the point of maybe even killing them. One week old is far too young to introduce them too adult chickens. As Micheal and Drumstick said the chicks need to brooded somewhere warm draft fee and safe and preferably with others of the same age.

Chicks shouldn't be added to adult chickens untill they are fully grown. Then should be introduced very slowly so the two sets can see each other but can't touch each other. This way they can become aquainted but not touch and cause injury.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Yorkshire coop's answer to your question.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X3 on mixing chicks. They need to be at least 3 or 4 months of age before you can mix them into an adult flock. However you can get new chicks into the flock in a separate enclosure a couple months before mixing them in so that everybody gets to know everybody. Always add extra feed and water stations when adding new birds especially chicks as they can get starved out when the adult guard the food and water. Watch to make sure the chick or chicks fit in ok. It can take several months for chicks to fit into a flock.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by