Hi & Help my dog attacked my ducks.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mommy Quack, May 4, 2016.

1. Mommy Quack

Mommy Quack New Egg

Mar 13, 2016
    I'm a new member with 2 Penkin Ducks. My dog attacked one. His battery died so he was out of rage. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. redheadedhens

redheadedhens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    It's difficult to tell what kind of wounds you are dealing with in that picture, but more than likely there are a few puncture wounds. I would rinse the area with clean water of any dried blood so you can get a better sense of the injury. My guess would be your dog clamped down on her once, so fingers crossed there was no shaking, which would increase depth/complexity of wounds and increase risk of broken bones. If you identify puncture wounds, clean them as best you can (ideally irrigate with a syringe although I know most don't have those lying around...). Feel along her neck and wings for any type of abnormality (bone should be smooth-no bumps, no "crackly" feeling. The key is keeping the area clean and as dry as possible (feathers should do a fine job of repelling the moisture as long as they are intact) and preventing infection.

(You may want to also post this in the emergencies/injuries for more responses...)

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Sorry to hear one of your ducks had been attacked. I you would suggest you clean the area up and then you can see what is going on. I would also get your duck inside where it will be warm and feel safe. Shock can be a real killer when it comes to attacks. Please do pop by the emergency section, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your duck :fl

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome. You have some good advice, so i will simply wish you well with treating your duck.

CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think you also need a more reliable way to deal with the dog. Either have an escape proof pen/run for him or for your birds. If a dog gets excited enough a shock will be ignored. It's always best if dog/cat and birds NEVER meet.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by