Hi, How am I doin so far?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hammond Egger, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Hello from Tucson. OK, here's the deal. I have an acre. I don't have any chickens yet, probably won't until spring. I will spend the time between now and then building runs and coops and getting supplies. I plan on having a run 5 foot high, 30 foot square. In the future I plan on putting a partition down the middle so will end up with three runs 10x30 feet with a 10x10 three sided coop at the end of each run. The sides of the runs will be hardware cloth and the top will be chicken wire covered with shade cloth. Each run will have a 6 foot long section of sand and a 6 foot section of grass, the balance will be standard, general issue, generic desert dirt. The coops will be standard frame construction lean to with three sides covered with 4 inch wide fence slats, the third side facing the runs will be mostly open but I will put bi-fold doors on them so I can close them up during the monsoon season and during the hottest months. I have a small A/C unit for each coop that I will run from a generator during the hottest part of the days. My plan is to have white leghorns in one section, Rhode Island Reds in another section and mixed breeds in the third section, probably mostly Jersey giants. No roosters yet. I'm interested in egg production only, no meat. Anything I'm missing? Anything glaringly wrong with my plan? Any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Sounds like an excellent plan to me!

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York. I think you covered it all. So glad to have you with us!

[​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Hammond Egger and [​IMG]. Love the username! [​IMG] I also like your approach of learning and building first and buying birds later. Of course I did just the opposite! [​IMG] Best of luck! [​IMG]

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Great job already planning for expansion before you even get chicks, lol.

7. Nmarine1057

Nmarine1057 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Hi and [​IMG] from Mississippi, looking good most people go the other way [​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] If you're gonna make the runs 5 ft high, I would go ahead and make it 6 ft so you can walk in it without having to bend over. Great plans. Good Luck and hope to see you on BYC often.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by