Hi..how long before they lay (Pics Included)?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sizer, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Sizer

Sizer New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    Hi, new chicken owner here, we got them after seeing them free ranging at a friends in France whilst on Honeymoon. The Mrs loved them, I loved the taste of the eggs so we came home and got the gear froma local supplier in Hampshire, UK. I was wondering though as we were not really told the age of them...how long do you think it would be before we see an egg??

Big Mamma
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fizz
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics of coop etc...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157624687644207/

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Welcome to the forum!

Were these hens laying before you got them? If so, it can take them a while to get used to their new surroundings before they settle in and start laying again.

If they haven't started laying yet, then do you know how old they are? Most hens start laying around 5 months old (but that can vary depending on the breed and individual). Their combs are nice and red, which is an indication of maturity, so if they haven't started laying yet they should do so pretty soon.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. Sizer

Sizer New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    we were told they would take about 4 weeks by the person we got them off but my Mrs doesnt remember how old she said they were. I am trying to find out though. But I dont think any of them have previously laid.

4. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Nobody knows for sure, but they look pretty close. You have a very cute coop!
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Sizer

Sizer New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    Fingers crossed, is there anything I can do to encourage them other than singing to them..."Chick, chick, chick, chick chiiickkkeeennn....lay a little egg for me!"

6. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    big mama looks like an older hen to me, the others look like pullets. fizz looks due any day, while flo may be awhile. the older one may be between laying episodes, molt may be coming soon.

7. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Do they squat when you try to pick them up? That is usually about 1-2wks before laying. They look like they should lay in about that length of time. Pretty birds by the way.

8. Sizer

Sizer New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    Not something I looked out for so will have a look this afternoon, only thing I have noticed is Big Mamma doesnt stop eating and Flo tries to peck me when I try and stroke her....lol

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They look really close. I bet within a couple weeks you have eggs. Congrats and welcome!

10. Sizer

Sizer New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    Ages have been confirmed by the seller :

Big Mamma 45 weeks, other 2 are 21 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by