Hi, I’m new here! 😊

Desire5292

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2021
Hi! I live in Alabama and just happened to find this site while looking through EVERY website I could possibly find with info about raising chickens. I’ve been interested for years in getting some chickens for eggs and possibly even a few goats, but with the current state of the world I finally decided to take the plunge - an extra food source can’t hurt! I found someone with six 16-month-old Red Star hens (after doing a lot more research, that may be too old but at least they’ll get me started) and my husband is building a coop for me tomorrow. :) I’m reading and/or listening to 4 different books about raising chickens and doing lots of internet research - definitely a crash course - and we’ll see how it goes!! Glad to have found this resource!

Welcome!

Red star hens I did not know until I searched just now. Oh, I have one, their sex-links. A sex-link was one of our first chickens. Our ms chicky 8 years ago was a talker. We have two senior girls, that is 8 years old, 2 Australrop, Welsummer Rooster and Hen. Plus we let one of our Australrop hens hatch some eggs last year. We gained three chicks in the hatch. They are 4-1/2 months now. Two girls and a cock. Cock looks like his Dad. Both Cock and Rooster boy both get along. Rooster just hates us especially my hubby.

We just got chickens eight years ago without doing any research at all. Dogs will go after chickens at least our neighbor dog does if one of the girls fly to the top of the enclosure and over I really have to watch.

Need help just ask.

Welcome!

Red star hens I did not know until I searched just now. Oh, I have one, their sex-links. A sex-link was one of our first chickens. Our ms chicky 8 years ago was a talker. We have two senior girls, that is 8 years old, 2 Australrop, Welsummer Rooster and Hen. Plus we let one of our Australrop hens hatch some eggs last year. We gained three chicks in the hatch. They are 4-1/2 months now. Two girls and a cock. Cock looks like his Dad. Both Cock and Rooster boy both get along. Rooster just hates us especially my hubby.

We just got chickens eight years ago without doing any research at all. Dogs will go after chickens at least our neighbor dog does if one of the girls fly to the top of the enclosure and over I really have to watch.

Need help just ask.
Thank you! It looks like, from my research, they go by other names too. I can’t remember them all. Red Star is just the name a friend gave me to look for. We do have a very hyper chocolate Lab, which worries me...not sure how well they’ll coexist. But hopefully we can build a good strong fence and he won’t traumatize them too badly. :/ don’t guess I’ll be able to let them free range!!

Back
Top Bottom