Hi, I’m new here.

Wannabe NE Farmer

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2021
Hi! I’m new here... new to the chicken thing, but absolutely loving it! This spring, our family hatched 6 silkies chicks from the incubator. Our kids journaled each time we candled then, and it was such a great experience for our whole family. We built a coop/run together and now have a small farm in our backyard. We have since traded some of the Silkies, and now we have 5 hens in total: 2 Silkies, 1 Buff Orpington, and 2 speckled Sussex. Both of our silkies have special needs... Marigold has a cross-beak, and Opal has a club foot. They both get along well with the other girls, and are the sweetest! Our dog, cats, bunnies, and chickens all enjoy each other’s company, and the only thing missing from this arrangement is an actual acreage. 😂

Attachments

• CD21E43D-0421-4777-8074-8FDED4D286C8.jpeg
    CD21E43D-0421-4777-8074-8FDED4D286C8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 2E9B6F72-3723-4DB1-9D0B-6886F1F9EE2D.jpeg
    2E9B6F72-3723-4DB1-9D0B-6886F1F9EE2D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
What a cute set-up; looks secure for keeping the girls in at night -- although they seem to be enjoying their freedom outside the tractor while kitty there explores the inside. Also, it's great that your kids got to participate in the hatching process.

You picked some wonderful breeds. My Buff Orp is, I think the smartest of my hens. My Speckled Sussex is the most unhelpful helper in the world; Bronwyn always wants to be digging and scratching into whatever I'm doing. I've never had Silkies, but they are just so darned adorable.

Kudos to you for keeping the special needs girls. I have a couple myself.

Welcome to BYC; it's really good to meet you! Here's to an acreage in your future!

Back
Top Bottom