Hi I’m new

Juddles

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
Hi everyone, I’m new to this site. I have been keeping chickens for 14 months now. I started with 3 ISA Browns of which I had to have one put to sleep in September as she got sick and no one seemed to know what was wrong with her. I then went and bought 2 more, a white leghorn and a black australorp and just a couple weeks ago I bought two more, a golden laced Wyandotte and a andulasian. I also have two cats and a dog.
I live in Melbourne and I’m a 56 year old female who works in the funeral industry. My girls bring me lots of pleasure, but sometimes grief too haha.

I have a question....how much is too much to feed them. They are in a fenced off area but they used to free range until they wrecked the garden. So now I feed them twice a day with salad or corn or table scraps plus they have pellets to access all day if they want. I also feed them dry oats and mixed seed in the mornings....am I over feeding them?

Hi everyone, I’m new to this site. I have been keeping chickens for 14 months now. I started with 3 ISA Browns of which I had to have one put to sleep in September as she got sick and no one seemed to know what was wrong with her. I then went and bought 2 more, a white leghorn and a black australorp and just a couple weeks ago I bought two more, a golden laced Wyandotte and a andulasian. I also have two cats and a dog.
I live in Melbourne and I’m a 56 year old female who works in the funeral industry. My girls bring me lots of pleasure, but sometimes grief too haha.

I have a question....how much is too much to feed them. They are in a fenced off area but they used to free range until they wrecked the garden. So now I feed them twice a day with salad or corn or table scraps plus they have pellets to access all day if they want. I also feed them dry oats and mixed seed in the mornings....am I over feeding them?

Someone has a formula on how much a chicken needs, but I forgot it. I've been doing chickens for 5 yrs now. I keep feed out 24/7 (pellet or crumble), and table scraps when I have leftovers I want to give them, so couple times a week. When I sell my adult birds, everyone always comments on how big and healthy they look.

Welcome Wagon.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Free choice layer feed out all the time is all they need to eat. Many treats are not good for them and it is easy to over do it. I read a feeding guide that said not to give them more treats than they can eat in 10 minutes.

G’Day from Far North Queensland Juddles :frow Welcome!

With the floods I am thinking I should have gotten ducks not chickens! :p

Anyways, I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

This is a link to the Aussie Thread Diva mentioned.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. This one might be of particular interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Feeding Chickens - What to feed and when?

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Hi, thank you for your welcome .
It seems I have been giving them to many treats. They have pellets available all day but I give them treats twice a day which is obviously why they are not eating enough of the pellets which I have recently read could be why egg production is down. I will change that from now on. Thanks again for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom