HI I am a new member AND my chickens seem to have POX!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ruletheroost7, Nov 20, 2014.

1. ruletheroost7

ruletheroost7 New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    Hello,
    I am new to BYC and I want some advice on Fowl Pox. I believe the have only the dry strain so it does not seem to be respiratory. I am treating with Olive Leaf Oil and Colloidal Silver. I have added a vitamin supplement to their food but they certainly peck around the vitamins. Any ideas on how to get them to eat their vitamins??
    Thank you for your help!

Alison
    Tempe, Az

[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    Welcome to BYC i hope you find the info you need for your poor bird. Someone here or a thread here should definately be able to give you some advice.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] A water solluble vitamin for poultry would be easier. Dab a little iodine on the scabs to dry them out and keep an eye on the chickens' eyes, if lesions form around their eyes, treat with an antibiotic cream/ointment WITHOUT painkiller, for example Neosporin. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your birds, X2 on post in the Emergencies forum about the Pox and supportive care. With getting them to eat supplements you put in their food, most birds will readily eat their food if you wet it into a warm mash, easy to mix things in that way.

1 person likes this.
  6. ruletheroost7

ruletheroost7 New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    I will pick up some Iodine! Thank you!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, it does look like pox. I am so sorry. [​IMG] Definitely post in our emergency section. If it is pox, it should pass in the next month. Pox is spread by mosquitoes. Normally it doesn't kill a healthy bird, but it does make them a bit off for some time.

I hope you can get them all healed up soon!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry about your chickens! Good luck with them. Don't worry too much, however! Most birds with Fowl Pox get better quickly and there is low mortality.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, so sorry about the pox. Wishing your chicken a recovery.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If people get 'chicken' pox, do chickens get "people' pox? Just wondering. [​IMG] Hope it doesn't dampen their holiday spirits. At least turkey is usually on the menu NOT chicken. They should be thankful for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by