HI, I am a new mommy!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jporres, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Jporres

Jporres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    I just bought 4, 16 week old pullets; a barred rock, RIR, white leghorn & a silver spangle hamburg. I opted to buy them a lttle older as I was advised it would be more cost efficient.
    I opted to buy different breeds to see which one i like best. So far the barred rock and the RIR are my favorite! I know the white leghorn are excellent layers but they are very flighty.
    My original plan was to have them free range, but this isnt quite working out (when i got home, i nearly lost my white leghorn, as she flew to the neighbors house)

The question is, how do i get these girls to like me? (lol)

After a week or so (im very impatient) i decided to buy baby chicks. I should be getting them in about 2 weeks. Ill be getting quite a variety; RIR, Plymouth rock, buff orpington, black sex link & austrolorp ( i really wanted an auracauna and an easter egger, but they didnt have).

Anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    TIA

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    The key is time and patience. Just go about your business. Be around them, hang out with them. Scatter some feed by your feet every now and then to encourage them to come a little closer. Take baby steps. Eventually they will get used to you. After they've warmed up to you, and they've been in their coop for some time (about a week is usually good) maybe try a supervised free range again. You've got some nice breeds picked out too, by the way. Please feel free to ask more questions!

3. Jporres

Feb 23, 2015
    What i have been doing is that i grab a chair and sit by them. The RIR and barred rock seem to be comfortable with my presence, but the other two are always on alert.
    I let the RIR and barred rock out to free range. They were out for a while and than were looking to get back in the coop :). I am too scared to let the white leghorn out. Don't want to lose her :I

In regards to the brooder; do you reccomend a red or white ligth?
    I read somewhere here that i should give my chicks water with a bit of sugar to get their energy level back up. Should i do this?

Do you think the chicks would be much better at free ranging (once older, of course) since im raising them?

Thanks again for your response.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock".

It will take time before your birds learn to trust and like you. Pick each one up at least once a day, if you can, so that they get used to you. Chickens are by nature prey animals, and need to learn that you aren't a threat. Feed them treats as well. Just scatter some cracked corn or another treat on the ground near you, and see if they come close. Eventually, they may become bold enough to eat from your hand.

If your birds are too flighty, you may want to consider clipping the primary feathers on one of their wings. This prevents them from flying (at least mostly).

Good luck with your current flock, and your future chicks!

5. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Sounds like you're on the right track. I've used both red and white light my brooders. I've gone mostly to red now because the light is less harsh and it can reduce the risk of chicks picking at each other. The only time I add anything to the chick's water is when I have some that seem a little weaker than the others. If they're all acting healthy and content, I just leave it be. By the time your baby chicks are ready to free range, they should be pretty well used to you. That's not to say they may never get brave and wander a little bit, but you most likely will not have to go through the taming process you are now with your older birds. [​IMG]

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice there for you from the above posters. Here is a good section of the learning centre for you https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks It has lots of articles all about raising chicks and some very usueful information.

Good luck with your new chicks when they arrive and hope you get pullets tame and used to you. It all just takes a bit time for them.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. There is a good article at http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...-run-away-whenever-they-see-me-Can-I-H57.aspx on how to tame a chicken. Some of the breeds you're getting like Orpingtons and Australorps are very calm and gentle and tame readily. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breed and hybrids, including the breeds you've listed), and they are hardy, friendly egg laying machines. My Black Sex Links have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

9. Jporres

Feb 23, 2015
    how do i clip her feathers?

10. Jporres

Feb 23, 2015
    thanks so much for your help. Will stick to red!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by