Hi! I am new and have a problem please help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by peb1976, Feb 1, 2009.

1. peb1976

peb1976 New Egg

Feb 1, 2009
    My name is Peggy Sue and I live in Virginia with my husband of 31 years. We have raised three children and now have time to work on the farm we purchased from his parents. Eighty acres, most of it is in a tree farm but we have 20 acres of pastures. We are in the process of fencing for meat goats and alpacas. We already have our chicken house and six hens. Four leghorns (white eggs) and 2 sex-links (brown eggs). I am not a chicken expert by any means, but my husband raised them as a kid.

We have been getting eggs for four months now and we just started noticing the last month or so, a smell from the cooked eggs. It smells like manure when they are cooked. Does anyone else have this problem? My daughter sells our eggs to the ladies she works with and I am afraid they will notice and stop buying them. Plus we can't eat them anymore the smell is sickening and we can't bring ourselves to eat them.

We feed them laying mash, scratch and have oyster shells available.
    YourLinkGoesHere bad smell in cooked eggsYourLinkGoesHere feces smell

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

Have you changed their feed brand recently? All I can think of off the top of my comb err head.

3. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

peb1976 [​IMG]

Bummer on the smell... the first thought that comes to my mind is diet - They say the feeding chickens onions can make their eggs taste funny - so I am wondering about diet changes - have any of the hens possibly found an unfortunate food source? I did a quick search for your question on google - and believe it or not - I found something on fresh eggs smelling like manure! They say diet..

http://www.chow.com/blog/tag/smell

Good luck on this!!! [​IMG]

4. peb1976

peb1976 New Egg

Feb 1, 2009
    My husband said he has not changed feed brands.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Do your chickens free range? I'd follow them around and see if they are eating anything odd.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I do not have an answer for your but [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I would definitely look around where they hang out, and also consider if they get food scraps as a supplement.

Good luck, and [​IMG] !

Edited for spelling!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG] This is a very friendly and helpful community; it's so nice to see that you're already getting some great suggestions to help you with your question!

You might want to create a new thread about your problem in the "Managing Your Flock" section of the forum, too. [​IMG]

I'm agreeing with the others here that it's probably diet-related.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN. Its probaly something they are eating.

10. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by