Hi, I am new here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by babyrnlc, Jan 30, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We have been chicken owners for about a week now. We have 2 hens that were given to us. The first day we got one egg and have had two eggs a day since (but one day we only got one egg). They are so fun! I am enjoying it.

We live in the city so we will not be able to have a huge flock, but maybe 6-8. My mother and I built our coop and we really like it. When I can post pictures, I will show you. We have some eggs that were given to us that should hatch on the 3rd. We had planned to just get chicks and raise them, but once the coop was finished we got too impatient, so we got the two hens.

I have been reading tons, but am still very clueless. Many years ago I used to breed and show cockatiels and had 30. This is quite a bit different lol.

I am married and have 7 children (4 biolgical and 3 adopted), my oldest is married and has a baby (will be 1 on feb 3rd) and my baby is 5. We have 2 dogs, 2 bunnies, and a cat, oh and a python (my 10 yr old sons, ewwweee).

I am really enjoying the chickens, we sit outside and watch them some days. They are fun. These are not really tame, but will let you hold them if neccessary.

Looking foward to learning with you all!

I can add pictures!
    Here is the coop we made: (It is bigger than it looks. It is 12 ft long by 4ft wide) We will move it once a week
    [​IMG]

Here is Pamela:(Which I have been told is a EE)
    [​IMG]

Here is Gertrude: (still not sure what she is)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi, can't wait to see the pictures! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    welcome from ct.!! [​IMG]

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    [​IMG] from middle Tn! I love to go outside on my days off and drink my morning coffee with the chickens...when the weather is warm, that is. Just keep reading everything on here about coops and runs, etc. You will learn as you go. Just remember for large fowl chickens you need about 10 square feet of space per bird in the run (unless you free range in your yard) and 4 square feet of space per bird in the coop. I have a 100 square foot run for 11 birds but they free range all day except when it is raining or snowing. There is actually a little more square footage in the run because I made a raised platform in it, like a loft, for them to use when they are confined. Good luck with your new birds!

5. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens