Hi! I am new here

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ms Ellen, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    I am so enjoying this board! Thanks to all of you for your wonderful knowledge!

As a child and teen I always had chickens and I always wanted to get back to it BUT we live in a suburban house with only a 1/4 acre. SO we had rabbits instead for many years. After my DD (20, 21 next month) went off to college, the last rabbit died and was never replaced, leaving an empty rabbit shed (in slight disrepair.) Then in March my middle son was in a serious car accident and has severe brain injury from which he will never recover. It made me see that I needed to do those things that I wanted to do and not wait until it was a good time to do it. Also it is helping me cope with this great loss.

All this leads up to the fact that we ordered our chicks to arrive August 1st and right now our 16 babies are in a dog crate brooder in the family room. My youngest son (14 but with slight delays) has been sleeping in there every night! It is so cute! The problem is it is really time for our chickies to be moving out to the garage and spreading out a bit but I am having a hard time convincing DS that they will be OK out there! Hopefully some time in the near future the shed will be repaired enough for the chickens to move in.

Well thanks again for sharing your knowledge on everything from incubation through to the table!

Ellen

2. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    Hi! I love this bored because everyone is so nice too. [​IMG] have fun here!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Welcome to BYC.

It is wonderful your son is so caring about the chicks. Every kid needs to raise a flock of chickens. [​IMG]

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Hi and [​IMG]
    This is a great place to learn and I am so happy to be here too!
    Good luck with your chickies...got any pics?
    ~Rebecca

5. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the welcome! I need to work on the picture thing, I can't get them from the phone to the computer right now.

6. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    [​IMG]

7. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Quote:Ain't THAT the truth. I am so glad I got mine before my oldest got too grown up.

8. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Sounds like your son may need to bring a sleeping bag into the garage! LOL!

[​IMG]

9. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Welcome to the Coop! [​IMG] This place is wonderful!

10. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by