Hi. I am new to this site. As I learn to navigate, I have a few questions on getting started.

BYC109

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2018
I wanted to know what are the most popular breeds and which breed is the best egg layers. I have raised a lot of other farm animals, but limited on raising chickens.

Everyone is gonna tell you that the breed they have is the best!!! I suggest that you look at Henderson's chicken breed's chart, and avoid the hybrid or production birds. Also, be sure your coop is big enough, at least 4 s.f. in coop per bird. My favorites are: Dominique, Plymouth Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Ameraucana, Buck Eye, Black Australorpe. Your climate will enter into the breed selection. Large combs excel in the South, small combs do better up North. I will not have feathered feet in my flock b/c I don't want to deal with ice and mud on those feathers. If you put your general location in your profile it will help folks to give climate specific advice. What works in the South may not work in the North.

Everyone is gonna tell you that the breed they have is the best!!! I suggest that you look at Henderson's chicken breed's chart, and avoid the hybrid or production birds. Also, be sure your coop is big enough, at least 4 s.f. in coop per bird. My favorites are: Dominique, Plymouth Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Ameraucana, Buck Eye, Black Australorpe. Your climate will enter into the breed selection. Large combs excel in the South, small combs do better up North. I will not have feathered feet in my flock b/c I don't want to deal with ice and mud on those feathers. If you put your general location in your profile it will help folks to give climate specific advice. What works in the South may not work in the North.[/QUOTE

Sorry trying to navigate and hit the wrong button. I believe you are correct. What ever farm animal it is, the owner of that breed always thinks it's the best. I have never heard of a Buck Eye. I live in the south.

There are many wonderful breeds of chickens out there who come in multiple feathering patterns and colors that you have never heard of. The first time I saw a golden laced Wyandotte it blew my mind. Then I was gifted a Story's illustrated guide to poultry guide and I had to have Sebastopol (goose), Russian orloff, Araucana, Ameraucana, Cochin... I would suggest buying a colorful selection of different breeds that you are attracted to for your first flock. Chickens are like potato chips...

Agreed with Percheron. However, you also need to keep breed temperament in mind. Some of the Mediterranean birds do not do well with confinement, and some breeds are more prone to aggressive behaviors than others. Personally, I would avoid the Production hybrids b/c they are more prone to reproductive tract illness. Anything with a head pouf b/c they are apt to be picked on by "normal" feathered flock mates, they are less predator aware, and it's debatable that they may be more prone to neurological issues if they have a vaulted skull. Rhode Island Red: The hatchery RIR seem to be more prone to aggression. I've never met a RIR that wasn't a nasty tempered soul.

Back
Top Bottom