Hi I am new.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momof12chickens, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Momof12chickens

Momof12chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2014
    I am new at this but my chicken was covered in blood and she looked like
    She had what they say an egg stuck in her. I put her in water and tried to
    See if she had eggs in her I don't feel any. She lays egg like once every
    Two weeks because they are bigger then the jumbo eggs you get in store.
    Can't fit them in a egg carton. Please help me.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. Bloveschickens

Bloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    My Coop
  3. Momof12chickens

Dec 5, 2014
    Thanks Bloveschickens. I have tried to do every thing that it says to do for her. I think
    It is prolapsed vent. She lays bigger eggs then jumbo. The one she layed today was smaller.
    And it was all bloody. That is how I know something was wrong. She looks like she has a big
    Budge under her vent. Looks like she has skin that has gone one each side of it. I will let you
    Know what happens. I hope we can take care of it. She is my sweet girl. Thank you. [​IMG]

4. Bloveschickens

Bloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    My Coop
    If she has a prolapse vent you need to separate her from your flock so they will not peck at her, which could cause death. The chicken chick also has a great article on prolapse vent:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Make sure to read the part about treatment. If I were you I would treat her as the chicken chick suggests in her article.

I do have one question: She is NOT egg bound right? Or does she have a prolapse vent and is also egg bound?

I wish you the best!

5. Momof12chickens

Dec 5, 2014
    Hi Bloveschickens.
    Sorry I did not update you on my girl but she passed last night. Then today I went to chicken coop and have
    Another girl the same way. If I can send a photo I will. I gave her a bath and she had a egg come out (not hard,soft)
    But under her vent looks like a budgie and looks like the skin is ripped apart. We cleaned it and pushed it in as much as we
    Could and put a few stitches to hold it in. Please tell me that is the right thing to do.i don't want to loss two of my girls.
    She is in the house in a cage covered and warm. Thanks

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Besides the above directions, it is best to get the chicken out of lay by feeding low protein foods & limiting her light. I had one years ago & caged her alone & fed oatmeal, scratch & greens & did nothing else. In a couple of weeks she had reabsorbed the prolapse & went on to lay eggs later. You don't want her to keep producing eggs with this problem.

7. Momof12chickens

Dec 5, 2014
    Thank you so much for your help. She is getting better. I have her in the house in a dog cage. I will let you know how
    She is doing. Happy new year. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by