Hi I love chickens and my goal is to be a homesteader.

mbobb2012

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2012
Yup! The title says it all. I am a 22 year old college student without a plan, except to one day be a homesteader. I believe in living as organically as resources allow you too. I am unusual in that i want to go further than a lot of people as i want to be off grid.

I think the first step for me in my journey is to raise chickens, as they are fairly easy livestock to start with, or fowl i should say. That isn't to say they aren't work, im confident they are, but its work worth doing.

I live in ohio with my two cats ( Pierre and Marley) and a black lab named Juno! Oh i almost forgot my wife Samantha and our 4month old daughter Evangeline.

SO......Thats me

Ps. Im also an avid rose gardener/breeder, and i garden with heirloom vegetables and fruits in as an organic was a possible, thats what i love to do in life. ;) I look forward to being apart of this community and making wonderful friends on here.

Greetings from Kansas, mbobb2012, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! I like your off the grid idea. Chickens are a good way to start. Best of luck to you!!

Hello! I have had chickens for about two years now but am just getting into homesteading myself. It is amazing what people can do even in small spaces. Good luck and welcome!

Hi and welcome! You are not alone. Its good to see a young man who is so awake. Check out the old timer's thread under managing chickens.

I would start with white rocks. Their size is 6 lbs dressed and very good laying. No other breed is so large and lays so good and is perfect for your stated goals. Of course if you just want cheap feed, cheaper for free ranging with predator evasion; and lots of eggs then the white leghorn is the tiny king.

You also need to start a compost pile. Your chickens feed your garden and your garden feeds your chickens. Good luck!

Oh, and build a coop first.

Welcome! I am envious! I think a homesteading life would be SO rewarding! Not monetarily but food for the soul! Chickens are a great way to farm meat and garden. Good Luck!

Thank you guys for the welcome, as i live in town" untill i can buy my land lol) do you guys know of any breeds that arent as ummm vocal? I know about egg songs but i hear that even those can vary.

There is another thread I have been following about the same thing. The answers are all over the place. Unfortunately it seems to have more to do with the individual chicken than the the breed.
My Wyandottes and Araucanas are pretty quiet. The Wyandottes do a short and sweet egg song but if you live in town they would be heard. I don't know about the Araucana they are not laying as of yet. If you are not allowed to have chickens and are thinking about doing it anyway research it outfirst, there are several threads of people going rogue and getting into alot of trouble once a neighbor tattles on them. From fines, confiscating the birds, to a day in court. I would be cautious.

Back
Top Bottom