hi I,m Barnny

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by barnny, Nov 1, 2013.

1. barnny

barnny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    Have dad chickens for 5 yrs now.My chickens are pets,and they are treted as that. we do not eat or sale are birds.For give my spelling some times my mind go ,s too fast.lol sorry .I do love having the birds and finding new things about them.I have 30 chickens and they all have names,we also have14 ducks,2 greeses and 2 turckys. and dogs cats and snakes and a turtle. yes my house is the zoo and we love it.

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined us!

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D Looks like you have a good flock ;)

5. barnny

Oct 31, 2013
    I like them, not every one get it but I dont care.They are fun,I love to set and look at them in the yard.They make me laugh and cry somtime,like today could not find my polish roo i know he was there when i put them up for the night.But could not fined him this morning"they are in a compleatiy covered pin,with coop in it.went most of the day in a bad mood thought he was died. he was in the pin behanded a nest box and was stuck,Happy he is ok. moved the box and put star back there.Do polish not roost? He will not sit on a roost

6. barnny

Oct 31, 2013
    how do your birds do in the cold and the long nights? What breeds do you have?

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC Barnny! [​IMG]

8. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Well I have 3 old hens and hey did good but I bought new ones this year.I have Easter Eggers,ISA Browns,Silver Laced Wyandottes,Black Astraloups,and my three old ones White Rock :)

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

We've had chickens since 2009 and we live in northern Illinois, USA. We have 2 coops, 1 can handle around 15 hens and the other many many more. When we reach the dead of winter my husband will install a heat lamp to keep them warm (but I've heard you don't have to), but you have to be careful that it is installed correctly. If the wire is hanging down, they will think they can roost on it. One time the heat lamp fell, sat on the floor of the coop and burned a hole in the straw and linoleum that we were using as floor under the straw. Fortunately, we arrived in the nick of time, the coop was filled with smoke, but no birds were harmed. During the winter their egg laying will slow down, but otherwise we haven't had any issues. I also have Guinea hens, they will totally stop laying through the winter.

Breeds?
    Let's see... for my hens: I currently have Black Stars, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, Red Stars. I've had in the past Rhode Island reds and Black Australorps (I think that sums it up). I currently have 2 roosters, a Black Copper Marans (BCM) and a BCMxBarred Rock.

Also the last 2 years, I've attempted to hatch my own eggs using a broody hen. Last year 7 chicks hatched, but 6 were taken out by a Great Horned owl, the only surviver is my BCMxBarred Rock roo. This year 6 hatched, 1 mysteriously died, the others are 14 weeks (I think I have 1 hen and 4 roos).

With 30 chickens, how do you keep their names straight?

Welcome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by