1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi! I was bamboozled into chicken hatching :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pippymcpipster, Apr 18, 2016.

1. pippymcpipster

pippymcpipster New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Ohio
    This year has been pretty stressful for me. So, a good friend of mine stopped by on Valentine's Day with 3 dozen chick eggs and an incubator. He said "It'll give you something to look forward to". So I spent 2 days researching hatching chickens(thanks to this site and the tons of info). I successfully hatched 5 eggs of the 3 dozen :/ Well..... I tried. :p I have learned alot and am trying again. Today is day 19 of the second hatch. Lock down... And crossed fingers!
    [​IMG]

2. CookieChicken03

CookieChicken03 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Good luck to you! Chickens are great "destressers" and make great pets. And you get eggs out of them! I hope the rest of your chickens hatch and the ones you already did hatch look beautiful. When I got my chicks everyday I would look forward to holding them and seeing them talk to each other. Good luck!

3. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Bamboozled, you say...

That weren't your friend, look at what he's done
    went and done to you.

Glad you joined, 'cause it sounds like you might need
    us. We help in all matters chicken, including revenge.

Spook

2 people like this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

The "incubating and hatching eggs" forum may be useful to you, and there are a few threads on incubation, as well as the "April / May hatch-a-long".

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

What breed of chicks are you hatching? I hope this 2nd go round brings you lots of joy!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You had a great first hatch, you don't know that all the eggs he gave you were fertile, some may have been too old to be viable, etc. You have 3 lovely chicks [​IMG].
    Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]. How many days till your next hatch?

8. pippymcpipster

pippymcpipster New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Ohio

I'm hatching silkies this time. Last time it was ameracaunas.

9. pippymcpipster

pippymcpipster New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Ohio

My first silkies hatched yesterday. I have 3 more pipped waiting to zip. They're so tiny! My first hatch were so big. I actually had to assist hatch the two that came. They started hatching in the egg turner on day 18.. Eeek

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by