Hi, Im a first time hatcher and have a couple questions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amsholan, Apr 5, 2009.

1. amsholan

amsholan New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    I have 7 eggs total, but they were put in there at 3 different times. On the 20th of April I put in 2, then on the 21st I put in another 1 and on the 22nd I put in 4 more. So the first set is due to hatch on the 8th,9th, or 10th of this month and from what I have read you are not suppoed to even open the incubator during the last 3 days, so how am I suppoed to turn the other 5??? Or is it okay to open it as along as I dont touch the ones that are waiting to hatch??

Secondly, what exactly should I have for the baby chicks to eat once I remove them from the incubator?? I have read 2 different things. Thank you!!!

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Okay you really should have not put them in together or had two incubators . Do not open the incubator once the ones that need off the turner are getting ready to hatch. You could put them in an egg carton and put the first ones on one side and just turn the others by placing a brick or boot under the incubater. That might just work, if not forget about turning them. maybe some others might have some other idea. Are they from your chickens?

3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Forgot to add you should have some chick starter and fresh water for the babies.

4. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    I would stop turning them all on the same date, are they in egg cartons? The problem will come in that by the time the last ones should be hatching your 2 day olds will be running around like crazy, rolling the last set of eggs everywhere.
    I think I would quickly grab the hatched ones out, to protect the unhatched. When they come out they will need water, then chick starter. They can go a couple days living off thier yolksac feed(that is what they live off of while in transit if shipped as day olds)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by