1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi I'm a new chick momma.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by karenls50, Mar 9, 2017.

1. karenls50

karenls50 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    Thanks for allowing me to join.
    I need help.
    We successfully watched six French black copper Marans hatch. Number seven has the air sac sideways in the shell. He tried for 8 hours to pip. We could hear him tapping and cheeping. We went to bed and 8 hour later no progress. We made a small hole where the airvsac should have been and carefully worked to we found his beak. After pulling a little shell away we found the airsac on the side not at the end. As soon as we even touched in inner membrane it would deep a little blood so we stopped cause we knew it wasn't ready. Later we came back to the same place and could gently peel back a little. Then it was fine. However after about 1/2 an inch we ran into a little seeping blood again. She is back in the incubator with about 25% of the shell removed. There is no membrane in front of her beak. We can see her breathing and trying to push, then she rests. . We are carefully following all the steps Sally posted. What do we do now? I'm inclined to wait since there was still blood seeping an hour ago. She's still in the bator at 100 degree and 70% humidity. We have a wet paper towel draped over her shell and exposed membrane but not over her nose. Help. We need assistance so we won't die. She's from a shipped egg. That's probably why the air cell is on the side. If we try to remove any of the inner membrane toward the large end of the eggs it bleeds. Now what? Thanks.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  3. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Eek. I don't know what to say about that.
    Lol we are incubating the same breed. We got 18 eggs and we are hoping that they will hatch. They we also shipped and this is our first time incubating [​IMG]
    Good luck

1 person likes this.
  4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover! Sorry for the trouble your going through hope she hatches and is well.

5. karenls50

karenls50 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    We thought we lost her but she's still here kicking and trying to flip on her stomach. My heart is in my throat.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

redsoxs has given you a good place for some guidance...good luck with the little one!

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Great link by @redsoxs ! I hope you enjoy BYC and find it helpful! Best wishes!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the little chick will have the best possible outcome [​IMG]

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Karen [​IMG] Welcome!

How is she doing now?

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

10. karenls50

karenls50 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    Hi everyone. Thanks for the encouragement. Out little Libby made it out of her shell but only with over 8 hours of help from us. We took it slow slow slow. Only once did we see blood. She was so weak when she pushed herself out we thought she had died. Then she started breathing again. Her egg sack was all inside and only a small amount of blood from the umbilucus. It clotted and dried within a minute. We left her in the bator overnight but she was so lonely. We decided to put her with her clutch mates this morning and she is so happy. She is doing much better. She's up and drinking the electrolyte water and standing more. She has one toe on the outside that still is tucked under and it makes her fall. I'll try to splint it if it doesn't work out by later on today. In a sad note, three if her siblings died in the shell fully formed and ready to hatch but didn't even internally pip as far as we can tell. One might have tried but the air sac was on the side. A consequence of shipped eggs I think. So we got 4 out of 16 eggs. Three died at full maturity. We regulated the environment as close as we could with very little variance. I'm so sad that we didn't hear them or feel them wiggle.
    Trying to post a picture. Not sure if I did it right. [​IMG]. She's laying in the middle. [​IMG] two hours into an assisted hatch. Eight hours later she emerged. Lots of prayer was involved for wisdom and patience.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by