Hi Im a new chicken mommy

BlackStarMom

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 19, 2014
Dallas
to a Black Star hen named Henna!
D.gif

First time ever raising a chicken and she's not so nice. I may need a lot of your advice.
Nice to meet everyone here!

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock. Are you raising Henna on her own? Maybe she would be a little nicer if she had some flock mates to interact with.
Be sure to ask any questions everyone one here to help and offer you advice :frow

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your new hen! Chickens are so much fun to keep. Definitely follow the link to the learning center that Mountain Peeps has left for you. Lots of good articles on keeping your new bird.

Enjoy this new adventure and welcome to our flock!

well, she came to us from a family who didn't want to keep her bc she was fighting with the other chickens, was not laying any eggs the whole 9 months while Henna was with them. Henna comes to us and she started laying eggs a month later and this was almost 2 yrs ago! So I do think she is happier with us being by herself but she comes running after me at times and tries to peck me when I go out to feed her, and when I try holding her. (she doesn't let me pick her up for more than 35 secs.) Is this normal?

Maybe then she is happier being on her own. I didn't realise you had been keeping her for two years. This could be just her personality. I have some little polish pullets that are in the most very friendly apart from one chamois that does not like me. I don't know the reason why they have all been brought up the same. And also when you pick it up you would think it was being seriously attacked.

She could be always thinking you have food and so gets a little over excited when she sees you coming with the food. Also you are her flock mate maybe she is trying to bully you like the other chickens she lived with before, her personality showing again.

Good luck with Henna in the future she sounds a very strong and determined lady :cd

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Some hens are just nicer than others. I have some that love to be held, and others that sometimes peck and often scurry away when I try to pet them.

Back
Top Bottom