Hi I'm a new member

davidmorrow

Hatching
Apr 7, 2017
Hi we've had 12 hens for the past 12 months and had no trouble at all with them.
Our hens were 15 weeks old when we picked them up, we have decided to increase our numbers this year and we now have 10 chicks which are 2 weeks old.
We currently have them in a brooder under a heatlamp and I was wondering if it's too early to take them off heat and place them into their own chicken hut (the chicks will be segregated from our older birds)

:welcome Welcome to BYC, David!
Concerning your chicks, it's always a good rule of thumb to keep them at under a heat lamp; starting at 95'F at birth, then raising the heat lamp so that it lessens 5'F per week, so that you are at 70'F around week 7. It all depends on where you live though. If it's been consistently warmer than 85'F outside, then I'd give the okay for short outside periods- under watchful supervision, of course. Once they are fully feathered (6 or 7 weeks), you can begin leaving them in their coop overnight, but, until then, it's best to overnight them still in their brooder.
:jumpy Happy Easter, :jumpy
~Sarah

Last edited:
G’Day from down under David
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom