1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hi im a new member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zeldacoon, Nov 21, 2014.

1. zeldacoon

zeldacoon New Egg

Nov 21, 2014
    ive had a pair of hens for about five years. ive occasionally looked at this website if i was ever unsure of what to do with them and wanted some help. only now im actually creating an account. i had to leave home a couple months ago for college but i had to leave the chickens behind at home. word from my family is that despite years of the two birds being good friends the big one has started attacking the little one whenever she sees her. (except for when theyre inside the coop). the little one has taken to jumping the fence over to the front yard to escape the harrasment because the big one cant make the jump. we'd rather not have her out front because its dangerous. Do any of you know any tricks to get the big one to stop attacking the little one? or why she would suddenly start behaving this way?

2. zeldacoon

zeldacoon New Egg

Nov 21, 2014
    actually i just checked with my family to see how they were doing and appearantly the bullying stopped like a month ago. so.... nevermind i guess.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC we are still glad that you joined the flock and hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. I'm glad the problem has subsided on it's own.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad to hear the bullying behaviour stopped. I wish all my chickens would sort themselves out so easily!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you joined us. Stress can effect their behavior, and maybe they missed you. Glad they are settling down.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Lots of reasons can cause a bird to bully the other. In the future you can use pinless peepers on the bully or even cage the bully for a while so they can all live together in peace.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

8. pfewless

pfewless Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2014
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge