Hi I'm a new to this and one of my chickens is looking grim help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WHUIron4life, Jun 12, 2011.

1. WHUIron4life

WHUIron4life New Egg

Jun 6, 2011
    Hi I've got 6 chickens at the moment, 1 Orpington, 3 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Hybrids.
    I really try to provide them with everything that they need, they have a large area in which to roam in which i have provided lot entertainment.
    I clean them regular at least once a week mostly twice and there mash, pellets, seed and water is always full.
    They do eat a heck of alot of left over veg which ranges from spring onion to lettace and also soaked bread is this wise?
    I found out about willow trees being a possible problem for them but i've cleared up all leaves. Now only one chicken has a problem all the others are more than healthy.
    My problem is one of the hybrids is looking really bad, it's almost always trying to sleep it's tailfeathers are down and it's comb and wattles are looking pale and have shrunk.
    Can someone please help... to be honest if it gets any worse i'll take her to the vet but I'd rather find out what it is so i can cure and prevent in the future.
    Many Thanks
    Carl

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    How old is the sick chicken? Male or female? Laying eggs yet? Have you seen the poop? Any discharge from nostrils or eyes?

3. WHUIron4life

WHUIron4life New Egg

Jun 6, 2011
    Hi thanks for the reply.
    Not sure how old the chicken is about 2 we think. It's a hen but we can't tell if it's definately been laying but we are down on the amount we used to get so it could be her.
    Her droppings are not too bad but are a little runnier then usual and there is no discharge from har eyes nose or mouth. If anything they are somewhat dry and lacking moisture. She just seems to have no energy, looks very pale and sleeps alot. She is eating and drinking but not nearly as much as she used to.

Once again thanks for the reply.... hopefully with help i'll manage to sort the problem and post a pis of a nice healthy looking chicken after.

Thanks

Carl

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    2 years old? Hmm. Is her abdomen swollen at all? Any evidence of droppings that look like egg yolk? I am not a vet, but sounds like my hen when she was internal laying. She'd just stand around looking depressed with her tail down. She didn't have the swollen abdomen, but that doesn't always occur. It's pretty common with layers bred for high egg production. Hopefully someone else will have more ideas, as internal laying has a pretty bad prognosis. They can get better for a time (mine did), but then worsen up. If she's definitely laying eggs, maybe you could cross that off.

Could also be worms - has she ever been wormed? Mites? Check under the wings and near the vent for mites/lice. Some people check at night with a flashlight. Mites can suck them dry and leave them pale and weak.

5. WHUIron4life

WHUIron4life New Egg

Jun 6, 2011
    HI again,

Looks like internal laying.... after a good check over she definately has a swollen abdomen.
    I'll be taking her to the vet as soon as it opens tomorrow.
    Thanks for all your help your a star.

Fingers crossed

Carl

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    In the meantime put her in a warm water soak in the sink. Soak her for 20 or 30 minutes. She will like it once she gets used to it. You can massage from her front to her back, under her, to help encourage her to pass the problem. Frequently this will help them pass it. You also may want to keep her in a quiet kinda dark place.
    sharon

7. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Quote:That will help with egg binding, but not with internal laying or egg peritonitis. That needs an avian vet and probably surgery. But a diagnosis first. Good luck.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Sorry missed the difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by