Hi! I'm a newbie from Central Pennsylvania :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Erin B, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Erin B

Erin B Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    Upstate SC
    Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the chicken community. I've been doing a ton of research and trying to narrow down the breeds that I want to get my newest adventure started with as well as just plain learning everything I can about the adorable birds. Both of my local feed stores are getting chicks on my "Desirable List" tomorrow and I don't know if I'll be able to resist! I may be a chicken momma as soon as tomorrow afternoon. LOL

The following are my desirables. Any advice on these breeds is appreciated. We live in PA so it does get both pretty cold in the winter and pretty hot and humid in the summer. These are also going to be seen more as pets with the bonus of having amazing eggs from them.

Salmon Faverolles
    Ameraucanas
    Welsummers
    Silver Gray Dorkings
    Frizzles
    Polish

Thanks in advance for all over your help with my questions, research etc... I know most of you have all seen it and heard it before and I'm just grateful for the help. :) Happy Chickening! :)

Erin

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    [​IMG] We are in Central PA, too.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

7. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Greetings from southern PA! I live near gettysburg and we are totally new to chickens, also. We got some from the tractor supply, but they only had a few options. Where were you planning on getting yours once you decide?

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

...but I was born and raised in Snyder County, PA!

9. Erin B

Erin B Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    Upstate SC
    Thanks for the welcome wishes! I love this site and can't wait to be a chicken momma!

Aeropennchick - I'm just right up the road from you! We live in Dillsburg. I went to Lehman's Feed Store in York Springs and Knisley's Pet and Farm Center in Carlisle. They're both getting in chicks today. Not sure if I can resist buying an armful if I go in to wither store today. Let me know if you'd like a rundown of which store is getting which breeds and when if you're looking for more. :)

10. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Erin - Nice to meet you! I am interested in LOTS of breeds, but I found a local gal who has silkies that are three weeks old, about the same age as the six I have. I'm going up there tomorrow to pick up a pair of blue ones! We have only planned for a small coop, and eight may be pushing it, so I'd better quit until we are better established. These little guys are addictive!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by