Hi! I'm a newbie from Central Pennsylvania :)

Erin B

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 17, 2012
Upstate SC
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the chicken community. I've been doing a ton of research and trying to narrow down the breeds that I want to get my newest adventure started with as well as just plain learning everything I can about the adorable birds. Both of my local feed stores are getting chicks on my "Desirable List" tomorrow and I don't know if I'll be able to resist! I may be a chicken momma as soon as tomorrow afternoon. LOL

The following are my desirables. Any advice on these breeds is appreciated. We live in PA so it does get both pretty cold in the winter and pretty hot and humid in the summer. These are also going to be seen more as pets with the bonus of having amazing eggs from them.

Salmon Faverolles
Ameraucanas
Welsummers
Silver Gray Dorkings
Frizzles
Polish

Thanks in advance for all over your help with my questions, research etc... I know most of you have all seen it and heard it before and I'm just grateful for the help. :) Happy Chickening! :)

Erin

welcome-byc.gif
We are in Central PA, too.

Thanks for the welcome wishes! I love this site and can't wait to be a chicken momma!

Aeropennchick - I'm just right up the road from you! We live in Dillsburg. I went to Lehman's Feed Store in York Springs and Knisley's Pet and Farm Center in Carlisle. They're both getting in chicks today. Not sure if I can resist buying an armful if I go in to wither store today. Let me know if you'd like a rundown of which store is getting which breeds and when if you're looking for more. :)

Erin - Nice to meet you! I am interested in LOTS of breeds, but I found a local gal who has silkies that are three weeks old, about the same age as the six I have. I'm going up there tomorrow to pick up a pair of blue ones! We have only planned for a small coop, and eight may be pushing it, so I'd better quit until we are better established. These little guys are addictive!!

Back
Top Bottom