Hi! I'm ChickenClo!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenClo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ChickenClo

ChickenClo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2011
    Hi, I'm ChickenClo! I have no chickens as of right now, but will be getting some soon. I have experience with ducks. Does anyone have any good tips about chickens? And I want to know what the most colorful breed of rooster there is, cause I'm going to get one and name him Samson. (weird right?) I want my chickens to have "free range" , but I want them to sleep in a coop of some sort at night. Any tips? P.S. I used to go under the name "DuckClo" if anyone remembers. [​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

3. ChickenClo

ChickenClo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2011
    Any Tips? I only have skills with ducks. [​IMG]

4. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

5. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] The best tip I can give you is to have your coop ready before you get your chicks and make sure it is capable of keeping predators out. Their safety has to be number one. You will get very valuable info here, so hang around and it will come. [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hi and [​IMG] . I would keep the chickens in a coop/run for a couple of days before I let them free range, that way they will know where to roost.

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome (back) to BYC! The people here have helped me a lot as I learned how to set up and care for my chickens over the summer. Feel free to visit my BYC Page for links to my blog that you may find informative or amusing.

If you already have a handle on the local predator situation, then you can make an informed decision about the risk of free ranging your flock. Losing a few birds in a small flock makes a big dent (in the production and in the heart).

You can get the birds to recognize "their" coop by keeping them in it for a week or so. Once they know where home base is located they can range out more and more, yet still find their way back at dusk.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. I agree, keep them in their coop and run for a while. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by