Hi! I'm from Oregon.

Beebonnet

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Hi! I'm from Oregon. I live on a small farm about 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean. My forum name is Beebonnet.
frow.gif

I am getting ready to buy 4-6 new babies next week. I have 2 older hens. One especially is very old and not an egg layer anymore. But, we love her. They are both blue egg layers but not very consistent or bountiful. So. I'm thinking about 2 Bufforphingtons and two Barred Rocks. What do you think? I want them to be sweet (non-pecky) and to be good egg layers. Also need to learn when to integrate them with the old hens.

Once your chicks are fully feathered (about 8 weeks) you can move them outside to the coop. Some people sneak the newbies in the coop in the middle of the night and some people place them side by side with wire between them to slowly get them used to each other. Either way they will have to establish the pecking order and there could be some fighting. Just monitor them and make sure they have enough room in the run. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have two old easter eggers.....which are great egg layers, when young.... do you want a colorful basket of eggs? Get a marans for a dark chocolate eggs , and few more EE's for blue and green and pink.. all are good egg layers.... good luck and have fun!!! :)

Thanks for the answer and ideas for new chicks. However, it's hard to find the unusual breeds around here. After posting, we went to our favorite feed and seed and got 3 barred rocks and 3 buff orphingtons. I can hear them cheep as I type this. So very very cute. They seem to like their new digs.

Back
Top Bottom