1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi I'm from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Txhomestead, May 14, 2016.

1. Txhomestead

Txhomestead Just Hatched

May 13, 2016
    About 6 months ago I bought my children pot belly pigs... more for me than them because they're 1 and 4.. but my love for animals has really flourished we now own the pigs chickens a turkey goats sheep and one crazy dog.. we also dipped our luck with planting a couple of veggies.. because we live at the tip of South Texas the heat is pretty intense.. hoping for a good summer break.. I work at a school and summer break is around the corner and so is the arrival of our first litter of piglets.. we are all so excited

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] to BYC - glad that you have joined us. It sure seems like you have quite a menagerie! Good look with your piglets.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Welcome! I have 2 pot bellied pigs and a whole farm full of critters. Pot bellies are a close favorite to my chickens. Ive raised piglets in the house inside of a play pen, bottle fed piglets that fit into my hand, litter boxed trained, and loved every minute of it. We no longer breed our pot bellies due to the overwhelming number of pigs in shelters or in need of homes. They are smart, clean, fun, and stubborn.

1 person likes this.
  4. Txhomestead

Txhomestead Just Hatched

May 13, 2016
    I'm really nervous of the labor process..I don't have an exact due date so that makes me super nervous..she's huge and looks super uncomfortable.. how many piglets did your pot belly pig have

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us over here! I think you'd enjoy our sister forum, BackYardHerds.com, as well. I have no experience with pot belly pigs, but I used to raise pigs on a fair scale. They are wonderful animals! Enjoy the site(s)!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. Many years ago one of our neighbors had a pot belly pig.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    She had 2 litters and 9 each time. Crush injuries to the piglets worry me the most. For our girl Midnight she never had problems with labor but did crush 2, one i was able to save. Keep an eye on the piglets when they are born especially the runt to ensure it is eating and/or finding a nipple. Good luck with your litter. How exciting!

9. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Txhomestead

Txhomestead Just Hatched

May 13, 2016
    I'm just nervous because I'm 2.5 weeks away from summer vacation... I'm not sure when her due date is...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by