hi i'm in need of soom ideas for a brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Adamschickfarm, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    hi me and my dad have been attempting to come up with brooder ideas so we thought we could ask the community of byc.

Please respond[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It all depends on how many and where you are going to brood them. Inside, outside. Do you have any other pets? Young children? If you are brooding just a few (6 or less) and have no other pets or young children, you can brood them in a box in the house for a while. If you have issues with younger siblings or pets, you'll need to make the brooder completely inaccessible to them. But be aware: Chicks are extremely dusty. they are dander and fluff shedding machines. The ideal is to have about 1 square foot per bird for the first few weeks, and then increase the brooder size as they grow. What ever size brooder you have, it needs to be big enough to hold them, their food and water, give them plenty of room to run around, and give them room to get away from the heat of the light. You can go to the coops tab at the top of the page, and click on brooders for some neat ideas. Then you'll need to do some research on "how to brood chicks". Have fun with your new adventure!

3. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    Thank you so much[​IMG]

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I really like brooding mine in the bathtub. :D

5. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I had a horse trough for the chicks I hatched out this past winter, but right now I have my new babies in the bath tub. Both work great, and we never use the tub because we have a shower in the other bathroom. I also converted my closet into a brooder for older chicks with our sliding screen doors.

It all depends on what you have lying around or have access to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    I did 3 in a one week span haha. I started in a rubbermaid in the kitchen, then moved to the bottom half of an XL dog crate which worked really well, and now they are in the garage in an xpen, with cardboard on the floor and shavings/sand. Lots of space for just5 birds, but I really want to prevent fighting. In the house was a no go even with just 3 chicks, after a couple days even with an air purifier my nose was going crazy from the dander. They really dont need anything fancy.

7. Carla Hayes

Carla Hayes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Topeka, KS
    I'm new to chickens this year and my chicks are almost 2 weeks old. For the first week we had them in a plastic tub with the lid cut out and chicken wire over the hole (to keep my cat out)...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have 12 chicks and they seemed to be outgrowing the tub very quick...so yesterday I had the hubby make a 4'x4'x2' plywood box with a hinged lid (and chicken wire). It took about 30 minutes for him to make it and only $20ish in supplies...definitely worth it. The chicks are loving their new home. They run across the floor flapping their wings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by