HI, I'm in north central FL and want to incubate...questions

You need vents anyway, that is important for air flow/circulation, especially at hatch time, so that's good. If your temp runs low over the average of the incubation, chances are you'll see delayed hatches, possible developmental problems (especially in very delayed hatches). If your temp runs high (but not high enough to kill) you'll see earllier hatches and possible deformaties/health problems with chicks.

Okay, I put in six eggs that I got this morning. I put them in around 10:30 am...when is the first time I need to turn them? My hubby is now making a brooder for when/if they hatch. Should it be a certain temp in there? TIA

Okay, I put in six eggs that I got this morning. I put them in around 10:30 am...when is the first time I need to turn them? My hubby is now making a brooder for when/if they hatch. Should it be a certain temp in there? TIA
The times you turn them aren't important as long as they are turned at LEAST 3 times a day, (Spaced out of course.) More is better, but an odd amount is recommended so that the eggs do not spend the night on the same side night after night. When you get to the brooder stage, you heat one end of the brooder, (most use a brooding light). The first week it's recommended that UNDER the light the temp is between 90-95F. Every week you lower the temp by 5 degrees until your brooder matches your room temp, (or they are fully feathered.) As long as you provide sufficient heat for them at ONE end of the brooder, they can move in and out under the light as they need fr warmth. You can tell (they will let you know) if the temps not right. If they are all huddled together under the light and still loudly chirping/distressed you know that they are not getting enough heat. If they are spread out all around the brooder as far from the light as they can get and/or mouth breathing/panting, lethargic, unenergetic.....it's too hot for them in the brooder.

Quote: Okay thanks....I turned the eggs once already. I have marked them with x's and o's and have the fat end higher than the smaller end. When I put them in they were all X's up, now they are O's up (fat end still higher) is that correct? If I turn them another two times, they will end up with the O's up for the night...tomorrow night they should be X's up for the night. Do I have that right? Turn them at least 3 times, but more is better?

Okay thanks....I turned the eggs once already. I have marked them with x's and o's and have the fat end higher than the smaller end. When I put them in they were all X's up, now they are O's up (fat end still higher) is that correct? If I turn them another two times, they will end up with the O's up for the night...tomorrow night they should be X's up for the night. Do I have that right? Turn them at least 3 times, but more is better?
Yup.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom