Hi I'm Jessica

huffman

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2016
Hi my name is Jessica my family is new to raising chickens. We purchased six babies earlier in the year and within the last few weeks purchased three year and half old layers...I must admitt I am baffled by their no laying procedure they have going on. :/ I have researched many reasons as to why they may not be laying so I have turned to BYC hoping some expert chicken raisers could help me out :p! Our children love the chickens and they love to roam the yard.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Hens will generally stop laying for a bit after being moved to a new home. Another possibility is that they may be older than a year and a half.

I have read that. It said a week or two is usually the norm. It's been a little over two now and nothing. Their behavior seems like that have adjusted well. The first week we could tell they were nervous they didnt come out of the hen house much. Now they are out all day and eating and drinking well. I have considered that as a possibility. The lady assured me they were no older than 1.5. We purchsed three from her two australop and one red. Thank you for your feed back!

I have easter eggs in two of the three boxes. It is clear that one of the chickens are lying in the box becuse the straw is indented in the one even if it is fluffed up and the eggs moves. The other two there isnt any sign of the chickens even being interested. Thank you! Anything helps!

Hi Jessica and welcome to BYC. I'd have strong words with them, and point out the implications of not laying
smile.png
You have some good advice and suggestions already, i just hope you weren't sold birds past their "lay by" date!

All the best
CT

Thank you! I really hope she didn't sell us "expired" chickens! She is the lady who all my chicken friends buy their chicks from. I am hoping maybe they are still adjusting??

Hmm. They might be hiding their eggs, or maybe even eating them. Have you met their nutritional requirements well? What does their poop look like?

The hens could be older as mentioned above, it can be hard to tell for an inexperienced chicken keeper. Any chance of a pic of the hens in question, so maybe we could help determine age and health?

Hi Shannon! I have been searching the coop like crazy wondering if they are hiding them or eating them. I have not found any shells if they are eating them. They are on a layer feed with plenty of water and a few snacks. These are the three in question. Thank you for your help

It sounds like you are feeding them right, maybe some free choice oyster shell wouldn't hurt though.

Do they have a run or yard they could be hiding eggs in? And I am guessing you haven't found any sticky, leftovers from eggs in their nest boxes right? Lots of times they will eat the shell and everything, the only way you might know for sure is if there is some kind of dampness or clumpy straw in the nest box afterward. Adding calcium and protien to the chicken's diet can help a lot if that is the case. I have noticed some older hens can pick up the habit for either the calcium in the eggs, or the protien.
If the shells are too thin and an egg breaks, the hens will always eat the egg, so it doesn't attract predators.

Could be a snake or some such critter is stealing eggs as well.

You have some nice looking chickens BTW! They certainly look healthy.

The red one, I am questioning her age. I can see the comb starting to grow a touch further back on her head and the bare spots in the neck kind of say "old chicken" to me. The skin around the eyes and wattles in the back being larger make me wonder as well.
Your other two, the black hens look young. I seriously doubt they are older than a year and a half, 2 years at the most. And again, they all look healthy and happy! I hope you get some eggs soon.

Back
Top Bottom