1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi I'm Liz

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LizStreithorst, Dec 25, 2016.

1. LizStreithorst

LizStreithorst Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2016
    I'm 66 years old. I live on a few acres in Rainey Community Mississippi. It's not exactly like living in nowhere, but it's close. I have 8 dogs, a cat, and two horses. I am a dog groomer. I have my own shop in the closest small town from where I live. I breed topical fish for fun even though they cost way more than they bring in.

I just ordered chicks. They will arrive in early April. I've had chickens before but I have never raised them from babies where I am now. I will have to build something safe and functional for them. I've been devouring the pics of people's chicken houses. Mine won't be fancy but I'll do my very best to make it safe and functional. I'm not much of a carpenter but I have the necessary tools to do the job.

I know that I can do it. I know that it will take three times longer than I expect because since I hardly ever build anything.
    every time I do I have to spend half a life time getting a picture of what I want in my head and figuring out parts and materials. Once I get started I have to stop and think along the way to avoid screw ups. Screw ups happen nonetheless and that wastes materials and time.

I have been devouring the pics of people's chicken coops. The fancy perfect ones are not to my taste. I like the ones that were made from stuff they had laying around waiting for a function. But there is one in particular I like. It's not what I need but I find it beautiful without being cutsie as well as functional. It's on page 62 post number 612.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Liz, welcome to BYC and good luck with the coop planning and construction.

3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Welcome to BYC! Best of luck with your upcoming chickies, I hope you enjoy them.

4. chickies49

chickies49 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    Australia
    HI Liz[​IMG]

here are some pics of my coop made out of mostly recycled material to give you some ideas. Have fun with your coop and chickens!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Liz, and welcome to BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    duplicate post

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Liz, Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. I used to have a grooming shop myself many years ago and bred & showed Cockers

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Liz, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard. Happy you are going to take the plunge into chicken keeping. You won't regret it. Once you get the routine down they are really pretty easy to care for. Also, take it from someone who isn't the handiest guy in the world, I am sure your coop will be just fine - but in keep in mind space requirements of the coop. The general rule of thumb is that chickens need about 4 sq ft./bird in the coop and 10 sq. ft./bird in the run. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Liz, it's nice to have you here! Good luck on your coop build and have fun with the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by