Hi! I'm Monica

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MonicaN, Nov 23, 2013.

1. MonicaN

MonicaN New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    Central NC
    Hi there!

I'm Monica and I am new to Backyard Chickens! My husband and I plan to purchase a few chickens within the next few months and are in the midst of learning about how to care for chickens. Both of us are "newbies" at this, and want to try and get through January before purchasing a few hens.

~~(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, we are new to chickens- and no, we haven't got our first chickens yet- but they will be coming soon! Currently, I/we would like to do some reading up on them (so we can be the best chicken owners out there), so if you have any suggestions as to books to read that would be great. :) Also, any suggestions as to what types of breeds are more tolerant with kids would be great!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None. See Question #1.

(3) What breeds do you have?

None at the moment. We have a few friends that have chickens and are trying to determine what kind of breed we would like to have. We live in Central NC, and so we have the 4 seasons. We need a chicken who can tolerate mild winters and hot, humid summers.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Google search on best websites for backyard chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, going to the beach, spending time with my family, and shopping!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My husband and I have two little kids (3 and 1), two very sweet dogs, and that's all. I teach elementary education (I'm a teacher) in NC.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You will get the basics from The Learning Center. To find others in your area go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum. You can locate and post on your state thread. People in your area would be the best at giving advice on breeds than can handle the climate, and where to find them., etc.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Like drumstick diva said, the BYC Learning Center and check out your state thread for what breeds people in your area have. The Henderson chicken breed chart also compares a lot of common breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j and the BYC Breeds section has member reviews on a lot of breeds.

1 person likes this.
  4. DustyDawgy

DustyDawgy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    U.S.A
    Hi;, and [​IMG]! I am currently raising my first hens, four in all, and I would like to give you some tips. If you want kid tolerant chickens, try raising them from chicks. My hens were raised in my room for a few months, and it got REALLY dusty, so if you raise them, try it in laundry room or garage. If you are starting with adult chickens, I would advise trying to win them over with treats. Mealworms and crickets work well. I hope that my advise helped!

~ A very Dusty Dawg

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

6. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Monica. welcome to BYC. This is the place to do your research. Plan first then get your chickens - smart and logical.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

9. TheChips

TheChips Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Welome to the site! my name is Monica too :)

10. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by