Hi, I'm new and am having incubation and hatching questions.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pippa3, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Pippa3

Pippa3 New Egg

Sep 28, 2012
    Hi,
    Can anyone advise me what I should do. Yesterday was day 21 and I had one chick hatch. I opened the incubator to take her out after about 5 hours when she was fluffy and now 2 more eggs piped today but it's been almost 24 hours and nothing. Did I damage the eggs when I opened the incubator? After reading the posts on this web site, which I wish I had read earlier, everyone says don't open it and don't help them. I can see the ones little beak peeping through the hole and moving every so often. I am so worried.
    Thanks for any help.

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Since you can see them moving and it's been 24 hours, then they're most likely fine and are just taking their time hatching. Just keep an eye on the membranes and make sure they don't start looking dried out. I actually open the incubator during lockdowns and hatches all the time without problems, but I do it quickly and I mist the exposed membranes before putting the lid back on. Good luck :thumbsup

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    I have that happen to me frequently. It is best not to open it, but it shouldn't hurt that much as long as you get the temp and humidity back up quickly. If it gets to the point where you are sure that it is not going to hatch its a choice of whether or not to help it or not. If you decide to help be very careful.

4. Pippa3

Pippa3 New Egg

Sep 28, 2012
    Thanks for the info,
    I don't know what the humidity is, I just put water in the bottom like the instructions called for. Is the membrane the coating just inside the shell? How would a person know if the membranes are dried out? It looks dry to me. What should I do?

Also, my day old chick, how do I teach her to drink? She seems to be able to eat fine but I have not seen her drink anything?
    Thanks

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    just dip her beak once and they get it.... Good Luck!

6. weimarmama

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  7. Pippa3

Pippa3 New Egg

Sep 28, 2012
    What a sad picture, but thanks for sharing. Is there anything that can be done if you suspect the membrane is dry? It's like the chick can only move her beak inside the egg.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Pippa3, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community. I know nothing about incubation so I will leave this one to the experts. I wish you luck!

9. weimarmama

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Sorry, I probably should have warned you that that picture might be a little graphic :/. You can moisten the membrane with a wet q-tip or with a mist of water from a spray bottle.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. I always write down the time each egg pips that way I know how long to wait. After around 30 hrs have gone by, I start helping by peeling the egg away very carefully. This becomes your judgement call. Not everyone helps. Good luck. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by