Hi I'm new and from England !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mumsy1968, Feb 13, 2015.

1. mumsy1968

mumsy1968 New Egg

Feb 13, 2015
    Hello all - I haven't bought my hens yet and am a first timer -can anyone recommend any good large breeds???

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!! I am a huge fan of the Orpington breeds....Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. These are very friendly and docile breeds. They are great layers and hardy over all. Both of these breeds make great lap sitters! Other nice large breeds are Wyandottes, Cochins, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Sex Links, Brahma's, Rhode Island Reds, etc...

You might want to stop by our learning center and our breeds pages. Lots of great articles in our learning center on all the aspects of keeping chickens...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

My personal favorite breed that might work well for you is the Wyandotte. Mine have been very good layers, quite hardy, and very sweet, docile, and personable birds. Australorps and Orpingtons are also good choices.

Good luck with any future chickens![​IMG] If you have more questions, feel free to ask- we're all here to help in any way we can.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Which breeds or hybrids would be best for you depends on what your primary purpose is for them. If sheer egg production is a priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links (they are sometimes marketed in England as Rock Reds or Bovans Nera), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. If you are wanted a standard breed that is very docile (potential lap pets), Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles all have a well deserved reputation for being very calm and gentle. All of these breeds are good layers and the Australorps are outstanding layers. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Like Wyandottes7, I especially recommend the Wyandotte due to their hardiness, beautiful appearances, productivity, and gentleness. However, there are many other large breeds that would probably work well for you: Orpingtons, Australorps, Brahma, and Cochins are just a few to think about.

7. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

I was about to recommend the same breed!

8. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

And also welcome to BYC!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture