Hi I'm new and getting 11 chicks in a week!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pattee, Apr 18, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I'm so excited! Finally after 13 years I'm able to get chickens!

My husband has a questions ~ when the chickens are free range in our lot how do you not get chicken poop all over everywhere? Shoes, patio? I don't want them caged. I want them to follow me around the gardens. [​IMG]

Anyone have an answer?

I'm getting several Bantams, Silkies, and Polish's... along with others.

I am so glad to be a part of the "chicken" community!

Pat

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    poop does get places you don't want. polish poop is big so its hard to avoid. silkie and other bantams is smaller so it usally just gets trampled in. congrats on the babies

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] Glad to have you! There is no way that you won't have poop all over. I take a hose and wash things down. I even do our small grasssy fenced in area.

4. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Just tell the husband that it's free fertilizer. [​IMG]

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Welcome! Chickens are so addictive. YOUR HUSBAND WILL PROBABLY NEVER GET IT.woops. whats up with the capital letters? My husband acts hard but he picked out sevral of my latest batch of chicks and he kisses them goodnight when he thinks Im not looking. I think its a girl thing...

6. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    LOL!!!
    Thats what I told my husband.... it gets everywhere and well thats the way the cookie crumbles....

I'm having a chicken coop being built and will be ready for the chicks... Now the mother hen I AM I worry that they will be out there, alone![​IMG] I've got the lighting for them (250 red bulb). I still worry they won't be warm enough. I'll be probably checking on them as much as my son when he was a baby~[​IMG]

7. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    We free range our guineas and its a dryish poop and not so awful, but honestly a good hosing takes care of everything.

But regardless, congrats on your chicks! I too have had this chicken obsession forever and finally have my first 5 w/ more to come. Enjoy!

8. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    chicken poop wont be as bad of a prob as your thinking.when my chickens poop on the concrete i let it dry an use a hoe to get it off into the grass.if thats a worry you can let them freerange an hr or so before dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by