Hi I'm new and need advice on where to buy Bantam Silkies in CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lindajp, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Lindajp

Lindajp New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    I have navigated this site for a couple hours now and I love it!! I'm not exactly finding what I'm looking for though. I am wanting to buy Bantam Silkies in CA and want to go to a reputable person/site. Does anyone have experience in buying Bantam Silkie Chicks through the mail in CA? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!! Linda

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    With all due respect ,hatcheries sell silkies but, they tend to be far removed from the type of silkie you can get from a reputable breeder. There are several silkie threads on BYC - mainly divided by color. The oldest one is my favorite go- to site - Just put "Silkie thread," in the search box and you'll probably find connections there. You could also post on the California thread at "where am I, where are you." in the social forum. Silkies in this country are bantam sized. In other countries I believe they just have the large fowl ones.

Good luck with your search. They are well worth the effort in finding them. One important thing to know is, silkies are nearly impossible to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. If people offer you very young chicks and say they are DEFINITE "Pullets" or "Cockerels," I would FIND ANOTHER SELLER.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lindajp

Lindajp New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Thank you so much for your advice. We were hoping to be able to sex them before purchasing, so I didn't know it's not possible before that age. We definitely want hens. I'll go to the sites you mentioned. We've raised ducks before, so this isn't exactly new. We're just new to Bantam Silkies and I can't wait to get started. Thanks again.

5. Lindajp

Lindajp New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Thank you so much for the welcome and for the link. I needed a place to start. I'm so excited!! Thank you so much!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Some people do DNA sex Silkies (via blood, feathers or egg shells) if you don't want to wait until they are adults to figure out what you have http://www.accu-metrics.com/avian.php

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined the BYC flock.

You've received some good advice already.[​IMG] I hope you can find some Silkies.

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Drumstick diva has given you all the info you need.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. Lindajp

Lindajp New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Thanks everyone! I love this site!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by