Hi ...I'm new and still looking at snow in North Michigan

fifelakelooper

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
fife lake, mi.
Hi ! I have 5 Buff Orpingtons and will be getting welsummers, wyandottes,cukoo maran,and blue cochin the end of the month...shipped. I sure hope it is warmer then so the chicks arrive ok. I am keeping the chicks separte from the hens and I guess i will sell my 2yr old.hens when the chicks are 5months old. My big coop is 8X9 and won't hold the 11 I will have total. I have a question....would a adult hen and rooster be ok together in a small 3x3 coop for 3 winter months totally enclosed? (too cold for them to go out) We may be gone for 3 months next winter and I have a small, nice coop from the U.K that I was planning to take to a friends for the months I would be gone and have her care for the Welsummer rooster and hen. The rest I will have to sell I guess. I am worried the rooster would be too rough on just the one hen?? What do you think?
smile.png

I've noticed my roosters aren't as randy in the winter months, but those are mine. As for the 3 x 3 area.... it's a bit small, but if it's cleaned regularly I would think it fine for 2 chickens. Maybe a few more Michiganders will let you know how their roosters are in the winter as well. Welcome to BYC.

I had 25 chicks shipped from NM to upstate NY at the end of FEB- it was in the teens for their journey. I didnt lose a single one.

They should stick packing peanuts in your order to keep them warm. They'll be fine.

Good luck and welcome.

Back
Top Bottom