Hi, I'm new at this chicken stuff lol

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Krglidden, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Krglidden

Krglidden New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Hello all,

First thank you for taking the time to read this. My name is Kristin and I've recently acquired a chicken. I have no clue what kind she is. She Is the lone survivor of a flock that was destroyed because she has never payed an egg. That doesn't matter to me if she ever does or doesn't.

My question(s) is/are.... She comes into my house at night. She is just like another member of my family. She does go into a VERY large crate at night. It's becoming winter and she doesn't want to go out for long periods of time. She can roam inside (need a diaper! Lol) she's extremely picky when it comes to eating. She will eat cracked corn, bread, grapes, raisins, cherrios, bird seed, sunflower seeds, dry and wet cat food and worms. That's it.....picky picky

Is this ok for her to only eat for 5 months of winter? I'm willing to buy worms to sustain her but I am not sure what kind of worms or if this is even necessary.

And help/advice and as much as possibly would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you and I look forward to exploring this site more

Kristin

2. Krglidden

Krglidden New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    The entire flck was destroyed because none layed eggs. I grabbed her in time..... So layed not payed lol

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Where will she be living during the winter? If she is living inside then she can just eat those foods. But if she lives outside then she needs scratch, layer feed and the occasional treat. But know that treats should only take up 10% of her daily diet. All the foods you listed are considered treats. So you need to buy either a layer feed or grower feed for her. These foods will give her the nutritional requirements she needs. If she refuses to eat, don't give her any other foods until she eats it. Make sure she also has oyster shell or eggshells. If she eats things outside then she also needs grit.

You may want to also ask about her breed here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She really needs to be on a nutritionally balanced chicken feed. Most of the things she is getting are treats (like candy to kids). If you go to the "Raising Backyard chickens"forum you can find side tabs for feeding & nutritional info.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Agree with above, she needs balanced nutrition. Welcome, so glad you joined us.

[​IMG]

6. Krglidden

Krglidden New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    She's the chicken that's my profile picture. I mix grit in with her cracked corn in the little feeder thing. She will be both inside and outside. I'm thinking since she's a single chicken, she won't do well outside all the time, she doesn't have the help of warmth from other chickens. We do, sometimes, stay at or below freezing for a month straight. She has free run of 9 acres but I worry about predators.

I bought the Dumor 16% protein pellets. She went almost a week and a half, maybe closer to two weeks without eating. I gave her corn and live worms because I was worried her not eating for that long. She just won't eat it.

Should I buy earthworms? Or mealworms? (Live) I do give her the dried mealworms as a treat very rarely. She loves the worms and bugs, crickets I do buy for her.

Thank you for welcoming me! I'll look at the nutrition thing. Tho, make ing/getting her to eat the correct foods is seemingly impossible

Thanks again

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Make sure she can be inside while it's very cold. Let her out to free range only if it is higher than 15 degrees.

Yes look into either dried or live mealworms. They are filled with protein which is good for her.

The reason she doesn't eat the correct foods and only likes treats is because she is spoiled!;) Just like kids, if they have the choice of healthy food or candy, they'll always pick the candy. If she has nothing to eat but the layer feed, she will eventually eat it.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! To get her used to eating the food, you might also try wetting her food and feeding it like a warm mash (some chickens are picky about the shape of their food not just the type), mixing things like scrambled eggs in the feed also, and check out the fermenting feeds threads, many birds like it.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on saving this lovely girl!! Chickens don't like feed changes. So what ever you are feeding her now, mix the new stuff in slowly over the next month. So start with 25% of the new food for one week. Then up it to 50% the next week and so on. And as Kelsie suggested, dampen the chicken feed. Chickens love wet food. I have gotten the most stubborn eater to eat with damp feed.

Enjoy your house baby!! I always wanted a house chicken, but I don't think it would go over so good around here. Ha!! Oh, and you might want to stop by this thread here. Lots of others keep chickens as house pets here on BYC...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

Welcome to our flock!

10. Krglidden

Krglidden New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Thanks everyone!! I'm kinda getting the hang of it... Ive order her a chicken diaper, just waiting on it to come in. It's been in the teens for temps and wind so strong it blows her around like a ball. So she hasn't been able to go outside for a couple days and is very CLUCKY lol...telling me off I think...haha

Can anyone tell me what breed she is or might be? I'm curious. I have a couple pics in my profile. She is the one as my profile pic. I can also take pictures closer or dif angles if needed..

I'm sure I'll be needing more help in the future

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by