Hi, I'm new... Fox in the Henhouse!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fox, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hi, I'm new here. I hope you will let a Fox in this Henhouse. I promise to be good. [​IMG]

I got 8 eggs this last May from a friend. I had 5 that were fertile. I was able to hatch 4 of them out using a desk lamp, temp/humidity gauge and water/sponges. They are Silkies and are ever so cute. My Mom has 7 other chickens, 6 Golden Comets and 1 Rhode Island Red. So we have merged them together and they all live over at her place. I get to see them regularly though. My Silkies, that's what I hatched, ended up being 3 roosters and 1 hen. I guess you call them Cockerels and pullets at this stage. Two of the Roos developed earlier... I could tell they were Roos as their combs and wattles started to develop. One I was convinced was a pullet, and one we were unsure of. It has turned out to be a Roo too. One Roo, Miracle, is a Partridge. He started crowing young! He's the Alpha Roo. Then there is Marvel. He is white with some blue. It is just a silvery color along his back and legs. He was marked uniquely as a baby and remains so as an adult. The last Roo is all white. My little girl is also white. She is not yet laying. She is just turning 5 months old. I want some more Silkie hens very much!!! I think because I put so much effort into hatching out these chicks, it would be very hard for me to get rid of the Roos. So I told my Mom I just need to find good hens for them. [​IMG] The we will hatch out more like them! I have not had much luck finding Silkie hens in South Carolina, but someone told me about a lady that advertises in the Penny Saver sometimes. So I will be looking into that.

The Golden Comets and Rhode Island Red have been laying an egg everyday, so we are always getting 7 eggs a day, even now. She got them in the Spring as chicks and they have done very well. The Rhode Island Red started laying later than the others, but she is now a regular layer as well. We are very pleased with them.

I have been reading your boards ever since I started my hatching journey, so I want to say thanks for all the great information on here. Once I figure out how to post a picture, I'll be sure to put some up.

I hope this was the right place to post an introduction!

2. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    [​IMG] and ummmm where's the pics? we need pics

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi Fox..(cute name!)...and welcome!, Wendy

and..yeah!.we want pics!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Welcome to BYC! And a desk lamp and a sponge! I am impressed (and here I sit grumbling because I want an incubator to try to hatch) how wonderful and yes you need to post pics!!

5. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Thanks for sharing your background, Fox. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Oh, and...
    [​IMG]

6. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hey, and [​IMG]

Where in SC? I'm in Lexington.

Keep your eyes open...there are silkie eggs for sale on here alot. Check out the BST Hatching Eggs forum.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hi, Fox! Clever name...and...[​IMG]

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Just so you know, you're the ONLY fox we'll allow in this chicken house!

9. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

These are the Comets and RIR most of them anyway... they come running to the gate when you bring table scraps. [​IMG] They live in a large fenced area to protect them from wandering dogs and cats of the neighborhood, and have a coop within the fenced area. So sort of like free-ranging with boundaries.

[​IMG]
    Here they are enjoying the table scraps

I guess I should post this to be sure I'm doing this right...

10. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:I'm here too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by