1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi I'm new from VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by greeniehen, Feb 20, 2011.

1. greeniehen

greeniehen New Egg

Feb 20, 2011
    Hi I'm new here and with incubating chickens. I put 14 eggs in 22 days ago and nothing has happened yet. I'm not sure what I should do next!

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

Maybe ask your question in the incubating and hatching section. There is a lot of things that can go wrong when hatching eggs, and I'm no expert, but temperature, humidity, proper turning etc. are all important, all that assuming you started with fertile eggs.

7. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

8. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    Quote:Hey there! I'm in Southeastern Virginia, very near the NC line. What part of the state are you in? If you feel comfortable, update your profile and add your city name or region.

Do not turn off the incubator yet! If your incubator tempertaure ran slightly low, the babies may well be still alive and about to hatch. My first batch went to Day 22 (I thought, was counting Day 1 wrong). I was ready to unplug the incubator and something told me it wouldn't hurt to leave it one more night and deal with it in the morning. The next morning I couldn't figure out what the tapping noise was!

Five of twelve hatched and lived. We have eaten one of the three roosters, but all the others from the "Original Brood" of May 13, 2009, are still going strong!

Since then my brother (that provided my first hatching eggs from his flock) told me about BYC when I had a hen with an impacted crop. "Artemis" has survived and thrived and I've learned what I was doing wrong during incubation and hatching. I highly recommend reading the forums for hatching and raising chicks. Just a scroll through the topics will be eye-openning! Try to find a thread about a question you might have rather than starting your own thread right away. Most people on here either know the answer or know where to look or who to ask.

Be sure to visit the forum "where am I? where are you?" and sign up for the Virginia thread and any other state that might interest you.

What sort of eggs were you hatching? Do you remember exactly when you set them?

9. greeniehen

greeniehen New Egg

Feb 20, 2011
    Quote:Hey there! I'm in Southeastern Virginia, very near the NC line. What part of the state are you in? If you feel comfortable, update your profile and add your city name or region.

Do not turn off the incubator yet! If your incubator tempertaure ran slightly low, the babies may well be still alive and about to hatch. My first batch went to Day 22 (I thought, was counting Day 1 wrong). I was ready to unplug the incubator and something told me it wouldn't hurt to leave it one more night and deal with it in the morning. The next morning I couldn't figure out what the tapping noise was!

Five of twelve hatched and lived. We have eaten one of the three roosters, but all the others from the "Original Brood" of May 13, 2009, are still going strong!

Since then my brother (that provided my first hatching eggs from his flock) told me about BYC when I had a hen with an impacted crop. "Artemis" has survived and thrived and I've learned what I was doing wrong during incubation and hatching. I highly recommend reading the forums for hatching and raising chicks. Just a scroll through the topics will be eye-openning! Try to find a thread about a question you might have rather than starting your own thread right away. Most people on here either know the answer or know where to look or who to ask.

Be sure to visit the forum "where am I? where are you?" and sign up for the Virginia thread and any other state that might interest you.

What sort of eggs were you hatching? Do you remember exactly when you set them?

thanks for the advice. I haven't had the heart to turn off the incubator yet, just in case. I set them on Jan 29th. There were two americanas and the rest were golden buffs.
    We used to live in newport news VA now we are west of Richmond. I have 3 kids, 4 cats, 1 dog, 1 guinea pig, and 25 chickens. What is the best way to dispose of the eggs that dont hatch? thanks again!

10. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by