Hi! I'm new! Getting my first chicks tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rileyboy, May 22, 2010.

1. rileyboy

rileyboy Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    California
    Hey everyone, my name is Kim, I'm in the SF Bay Area, California. First of all, WOW, what a wonderful website! I sat here and read for 4 hours straight last night!

I am entering the great world of raising chickens! I am getting my first chicks tomorrow. I'm planning on getting 2 bantam silkies and 2 other kinds, haven't decided yet, need to see them. I'll probably get 3 or 4 total. Hopefully they will all be pullets since they are suppose to be. They are about 1 week old. If I end up with 1 roo, I'd be okay with that, just can't have more than 1.

My brooder is almost finished (will be done by the time I get them tomorrow). While they are under the heat lamp for about 8 weeks, I will be building my coop. I have to raise them in the garage since our barn (where I board my horses) doesn't have electricity anywhere on the property. So, when they are fully feathered, the weather should be nice, and they will move out with the horses to their brand new coop! (not right with them, but right outside the pasture)

Any tips, tricks and advice you guys want to share would be GREATLY appreciated!

Here is a picture of the coop I will be building. (this is the finished product, picture from my coop plans)

[​IMG]

Nice to meet you all!
    ~Kim

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    [​IMG]
    nice coop ideas! and so glad you're getting into chickens! they are so wonderful
    and you will love the silkies!
    good luck on your new chicks!

3. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

4. promiselandfarm5

promiselandfarm5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Rome, GA
    Congrats!!! Welcome!!! [​IMG]

Chickens are so much fun....and addictive.

Good Luck and post some pics of your new chicks.

5. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Congrats for your new chicks and welcome to the chicken world! [​IMG]

6. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

Congrats on your chicks! I got my first chicks in February of this year - they are so much fun and you'll enjoy being a chicken keeper. Your coop looks great!

Only tip I'd give is keep coming to the BYC forum - I learn something every time, definitely the best source!

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] from Modesto. I'm Kim and moved here from the Bay Area little over a year ago.

8. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Hi Kim, [​IMG] and to the wonderful world of chickens. I have had chicks for a little over 2 yrs. now and I love them. They are so fun to watch when they free range. They are a joy to me. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Jealous! Nice Coop - Did you design it or build it off of plans. About what are the dementions?

Congrats and enjoy the babies! They are soooo much fun!
    Caroline

10. rileyboy

rileyboy Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    California
    Not my coop yet, I haven't built mine. [​IMG] I have the plans for that coop. Bought it from someone on craigslist for $12 and they emailed them to me in a PDF format, they are really great! He calls it a "Dutch Hen House". After many hours of searching for coop plans, I decided on this one because it uses whole sheets of ply wood and you cut out the patterns with a jigsaw. I bought all of the hardware for $37. My total costs for ALL of the supplies, wood, and hardware cloth should be no more than $165, and that is using all NEW items. (haven't been able to find any scrap wood on craigslist)

It is approximently 8' long and 4' wide. I may tweak the plans and make it a little bit wider.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by