Hi! I'm new here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mothertractor, Feb 6, 2016.

1. I am new here, but not totally new to backyard chickens. We are on our second flock of hens, still waiting for them to start laying. The first group of hens we hatched out over 5 years ago and they just weren't keeping up with demand and had all sorts of defects. This time we started with 13 week old pullets, they seem to be a bit hardier and more well bred than their predecessors, but are taking their own sweet time to start laying. I figure as the days get longer they will fall in line. Our local rules allow 6 hens and no roosters, we have 2 Australorps, 2 New Hampshires and 2 Rhode Island reds. I am certain 1 Rhode Island is a rooster, but at 6 plus months he hasn't crowed. Actually hoping he doesn't, then he can stay. Has anyone ever had a rooster that never crowed?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us. And congrats on getting your new flock.

I have no experience with roosters, but would expect a crow by now - hope he's a she! You may want to post a pic of the possible fellow to get some experienced input here, or post it under "what breed/gender forum for other opines. ( I think you need a number of posts to be able to upload a pic?).

Good luck with the new ones, wish you many, many eggs to come very soon.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Sunflour - we'd have to see a photo first though.. If you welcome a few new members here - you can get your post count up and will be able to post photos.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Great that you have joined us. I do hope that your second flock is more productive for you. I'm afraid patience is the name of the game when it comes to getting your first eggs!

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Most cockerels begin crowing from 4-5 months, but sometime it can be considerably longer and on rare occasions it can be nearly a year, but I've never heard of a case where a rooster never crowed. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

7. Thank you to everyone! We were hoping for six hens, but this one is much larger with beautiful tapered feathering at hackles and saddle, slight spur buds and very elegant carriage. I've decided he can stay as long as he doesn't crow, may try the collar otherwise he'll have to join my mothers girl in the country. He is a beautiful specimen.
    The last batch of birds we hatched from purchased hatching eggs and we had eggs at 5 months and put the cockerels in the freezer. So we know the waiting is worth it. I was happy with the Australorpes last time, but wanted try some reds. The New Hampshires are my favorite right now, there's just something old fashion and homey about them. This batch is from a different source, they seem stronger and more defect free, so we'll see. If the mute rooster stays that way I may use the incubator again. Time will tell!

8. tabinal

tabinal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Hey there, I'm new too but I bet you a nickel you have a shy cockerel. The pointy saddle feathers give them away. I learned the hard way, lol. I thought I had 5 pullets and one cockerel but it was the exact opposite. They were Jersey Giants and started getting mean as snakes when they realized they were manly men. They found themselves at other homes..

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here. If you have any questions, always feel free to ask. There's a lot of information here and a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members.

Thanks for joining us!

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by